I always like to have some kind of quick bread or muffins in the freezer for a quick breakfast alongside scrambled eggs and fruit or an afternoon snack with tea. The freezer had been empty for far too long. I think the last quick bread I made was the pumpkin apple bread back in October…I got busy with teacher training and the holidays! Today I created a new recipe for Carrot Maple Oat Banana Bread and restocked my supply!
I have tons of banana bread variations on my site but this one is different because it’s refined sugar free, incorporates carrots and uses half oat flour for a heartier texture and more fiber.
My motivation for the health swaps was being able to share it with Finn! I initially thought I’d make my Paleo Banana Bread but didn’t have almond or coconut flour. I also didn’t have any whole wheat flour so I got creative with pulsing rolled oats in my Vitamix to make oat flour.
This Carrot Maple Oat Banana Bread definitely has more of a “rustic” texture than traditional soft banana bread but it’s not dry at all thanks to a mix of greek yogurt and coconut oil in the batter.
Perhaps my favorite thing about this bread is its very understated sweetness. It’s sweetened with ripe bananas and maple syrup but you don’t bite into it and think “oh that’s sweet.” This definitely makes me feel better about feeding it to Finn although I am 99% certain that no matter what I do, he’ll end up with his mama’s sweet tooth! 🙂
And per usual for my quick bread recipes…you don’t need a mixer! Just a fork and/or a whisk and you’re good to go.
Quick breads freeze extremely well. I sliced this bread, wrapped the individual slices in plastic wrap and then put them all in a gallon ziploc bag in the freezer. That way I can take out one slice at a time. I wrap them in a paper towel and microwave them for about 30-45 seconds on 50% power.
Last thing…this carrot maple oat banana bread is so good with salted butter spread on top or your favorite nut butter!
Here is the recipe. Please let me know if you try it and what you think!
CARROT MAPLE OAT BANANA BREAD RECIPEPrint
A recipe for refined a sugar-free banana bread with carrots, maple syrup and oat flour.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oat flour (you can make this in a food processor or blender using 1 cup rolled oats)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup full-fat plain greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9×5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together eggs, banana, yogurt, coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup and carrots
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until evenly moistened. Fold in the walnuts.
- Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until bread is springy to the touch and lightly browned.
- Let bread cool for a bit 15-20 minutes in pan and then remove from pan and place on a rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, slice and serve or slice and freeze!
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 13 grams
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 35
- Protein: 7
Keywords: quick bread, banana bread, baking
MORE BANANA BREAD RECIPES
Perfect Paleo Banana Bread
Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread
Morning Glory Banana Bread
Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins
Easy and Healthy Banana Muffins
Coconut Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Healthy-ish Peanut Butter and Coconut Banana Bread
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Swirl