I’m popping in with a lunch break update for you because I have a recipe to share!
I buy bananas every week at the store and sometimes I end up with bananas that are a little past their prime…even for oatmeal. (I prefer bananas with brown spots for oatmeal because they are sweeter and mix in better.) One of my favorite uses for these overripe bananas is in banana muffins. They freeze wonderfully and are the perfect on the go breakfast. They’re also a great pre-workout snack with a smear of nut butter. Just grab a muffin from the freezer, wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 15 seconds. Super easy!
Now, I’ve been making these muffins for years but I recently tweaked my original recipe to reduce sugar, eliminate oil, add whole wheat flour and up the protein. I wanted to share this version of the recipe with you. The best thing about this recipe is that it is fast and easy. You only dirty up two bowls and don’t even have to break out a mixer. They can be in the oven in about five minutes. I even had time to make these after BodyPump yesterday morning as I was getting ready for work. Who doesn’t like warm muffins fresh out of the oven for a Monday morning breakfast!?
Easy and Healthy Banana Muffins
(A Peanut Butter Runner Creation)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup peanut flour (I used Trader Joe’s which has been discontinued. If you do not have access to peanut
flour, sub whole wheat flour. I used it to up protein.)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Cooking spray or muffin liners
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin pan by spraying with cooking spray or using liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, salt and baking soda. In a separate bowl, mix together banana, yogurt, egg and vanilla. Fold banana mixture into dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
And here are the nutrition stats!
Hope y’all are having a great day! 😀