Forgive me for posting another quick bread recipe right on the heels of my Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread but if you love sweet quick breads as much as I do, hopefully there isn’t much to forgive. I know you are going to love this Pumpkin Apple Bread recipe and I’ve received so many requests for it on Instagram.
PUMPKIN APPLE BREAD
I really enjoy baking quick breads. That is obvious by the number of recipes for them on my site! They are easy, delicious and great to have on hand for breakfast or an afternoon snack. They freeze extremely well and are easy to convert to muffins if you’d rather go that route.
Of course with the arrival of fall (in date only…the weather is lagging behind) I had to break open my first can of pumpkin. But I have to admit to you that I like apple things even more than pumpkin things when it comes to fall baking so I decided to marry the two!
This quick bread is a blend of pumpkin bread with the influence of apple cake. Apple cake ranks up there in the all-time favorite dessert category because it not only tastes amazing but is so nostalgic for me.
I did attempt to make a couple “healthier” (we won’t call this bread healthy) swaps in this recipe including the addition of some whole wheat flour and the substitution of plain Greek yogurt for some of the oil.
You don’t even have to break the mixer out for this recipe. Everything is stirred by hand. You can have it prepped and in the oven in 15 minutes, no problem!
TADA! Isn’t she gorgeous!??
Pumpkin bread studded with apple chunks and toasted walnuts. Go make this now! Oh and a random thought I had while slicing, photographing and taste testing this recipe…the end slice is my FAVORITE when it’s fresh out of the oven. I love the crispy edges before the bread cools and softens.Print
Blending together two of fall’s best flavors, pumpkin and apple, this Pumpkin Apple Bread is sure to become a family favorite!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1//4 cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped peeled apples (about one large apple)
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, vanilla, oil and yogurt. Add in sugars and stir until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just moistened. Fold in apples and walnuts.
- Pour into pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. It may take longer. Keep a close eye on it! Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Freezes well in individual slices. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in a gallon bag in the freezer. Pull slices out and microwave to defrost as desired.
Keywords: quick bread, pumpkin, apple, fall