I have quite a few recipes for variations on banana bread on my blog. I seem to regularly find myself with very ripe bananas so I either freeze them for smoothies or bake them into banana bread.
Today I’m excited to bring you a recipe for my first ever CHOCOLATE banana bread…with the addition of zucchini!
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BANANA BREAD
This recipe features unsweetened chocolate, chocolate chips, bananas, zucchini and cinnamon for a rich, chocolaty but not too sweet take on banana bread. It’s the perfect way to use bananas that are past their prime (I guess that’s personal preference but once they are spotted, I can’t eat them straight up!) as well as take advantage of the abundance of fresh zucchini that’s in season right now.
I love using zucchini in recipes (both sweet and savory!) because it’s so great for adding a veggie element without an overpowering taste. It kind of just takes on the flavor of whatever you’re cooking but adds texture and a little green.
This recipe for chocolate zucchini banana bread is a breeze to put together. You simply melt the chocolate in a saucepan and then add the oil, sugar, eggs, mashed bananas, vanilla and flour mixture to it. Stir in the zucchini and the chocolate chips at the end. You don’t even have to get a mixer out for this recipe. Everything can be done with a spoon or whisk!
After about an hour in the oven, you have a beautiful loaf of chocolate zucchini banana bread that is studded with chocolate chips.
The bread stands up well to slicing and holds together but it’s so tender and moist thanks to the bananas and zucchini.
And the unsweetened chocolate balances out the sweetness of the bananas and the added sugar really nicely. The chocolate chips are just little bursts of happiness in this bread!
Here’s the recipe!
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BANANA BREAD RECIPEPrint
This chocolate zucchini banana bread is packed with fresh zucchini and bananas and features chocolate chips and melted unsweetened chocolate. A perfect breakfast treat or afternoon snack!
- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini, squeeze moisture out after shredding)
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 5 x 9 loaf pan by spraying with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt chocolate over low heat, stirring very frequently.
- Once chocolate is melted, add coconut oil and stir to combine.
- Add sugar to chocolate and oil mixture, followed by eggs, mashed banana and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until bread is set in the middle and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. You may need a little more baking time but just keep checking it to make sure it doesn’t over bake.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Bread freezes well. Wrap individual slices in plastic wrap and then place in a gallon freezer bag.
- Recipe adapted from If You Give A Blonde A Kitchen.
And here are some of my other favorite banana bread variations!
Coconut Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Paleo Banana Bread
Healthy-ish Peanut Butter Coconut Banana Bread
Banana Morning Glory Quick Bread
Pumpkin Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips and Cream Cheese Swirl
Spiced Zucchini, Carrot and Banana Bread