You guys are going to L-O-V-E this recipe for Matcha Chai Spiced Sugar Cookies! They might be one of my best sweet creations to date. (Although I think I’ve said that about quite a few recipes…what can I say? I just love to bake!)
I started baking chai spiced sugar cookies last holiday season. I think I baked them 3-4 times but never got around to photographing or sharing the recipe. I knew I had to share the recipe this winter but I added a fun holiday twist by making them GREEN!
I feel like 2016 has been the year of matcha and I thought matcha with the chai spiced sounded like a winning combination.
The chai spice is mixed in with the sugar. You use almost all of it in the cookie dough but reserve a little for rolling the cookies in before baking.
I incorporated the matcha powder by whisking it into my flour/baking soda/baking powder/salt mixture.
How amazing is this dough? I think kids would love this! (Or maybe I’m just delusional and they wouldn’t go anywhere close to green cookie dough. I don’t know anything about these things.)
I chilled the dough in the fridge for about an hour before rolling it into small balls and taking them for a spin in the chai spice sugar mix.
Is it just me or are these cookies perfectly Grinch colored?
And here’s a look at the inside. They are crisp around the edges but so chewy and buttery in the center. The chai spice flavor is subtle and perfect for winter baking. I could taste the matcha more in the cookie dough than I could in the baked cookie but there’s definitely a hint of it there.
I hope you’ll add these Matcha Chai Spiced Sugar Cookies to your holiday or winter baking list!
Matcha Chai Spiced Sugar Cookies
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 36 cookies||Total:|
Soft and chewy chai spiced sugar cookies with matcha powder.
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cup white sugar (DIVIDED)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, matcha powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt and then run mixture through a sifter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and allspice. Remove 1/4 cup of the mixture and set aside for rolling the dough balls in later.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in large bowl with a hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar on medium high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Once butter and sugar are combined, add the egg and vanilla extract and keep mixing until fully incorporated. You may need to scrape down sides.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly start to add the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time until all flour has been added. Again, you might need to scrape down the sides. Once dough is ready to go, place in the fridge to chill for about at least 30 minutes. You could even leave it overnight if you wanted to make the dough ahead of time. Just be sure to cover it in plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough into small balls that are about 1-inch in diameter. You can use your hands or a small cookie scoop. Roll the balls in the reserved sugar spice mix and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicon baking liner. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Let rest on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before carefully removing to a wire rack using a flat spatula.
Recipe adapted from My Baking Addiction.