Soft and chewy sugar cookies that tinted green with matcha powder and spiced with chai flavors.
2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons matcha powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, matcha powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt and then run mixture through a sifter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and allspice. Remove 1/4 cup of the mixture and set aside for rolling the dough balls in later.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in large bowl with a hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar on medium high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Once butter and sugar are combined, add the egg and vanilla extract and keep mixing until fully incorporated. You may need to scrape down sides.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly start to add the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time until all flour has been added. Again, you might need to scrape down the sides. Once dough is ready to go, place in the fridge to chill for about at least 30 minutes. You could even leave it overnight if you wanted to make the dough ahead of time. Just be sure to cover it in plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough into small balls that are about 1-inch in diameter. You can use your hands or a small cookie scoop. Roll the balls in the reserved sugar spice mix and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicon baking liner. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Let rest on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before carefully removing to a wire rack using a flat spatula.
Keywords: cookies, baking, sugar cookies