This recipe for egg casserole with sweet potatoes, butternut squash and sausage is Whole30-compliant and Paleo but even if those words don’t mean much to you, I promise you’ll find it delicious!
I made this casserole to bring to a potluck brunch but I’ve been reheating the leftovers all week for easy breakfasts and lunches. It’s a great make-ahead recipe that can be reheated and ready in under 90 seconds. Perfect for those of you with busy morning schedules or needing a breakfast to take to work with you.
The first step for the prep is to roast the sweet potatoes, butternut squash and onions.
This increases the deliciousness factor by about 1,000%! The onions get caramelized and so sweet while the sweet potatoes and squash get browned and tender.
While the potatoes, squash and onions are roasting, you cook the sausage on the stovetop. I used traditional pork breakfast sausage but you could also use a chicken or turkey sausage and I’m sure that other flavor variations would be good too. The key is just to make sure the sausage doesn’t have sugar added if you’re doing the Whole30/Paleo thing.
Here’s the finished product with the eggs and some fresh spinach sprinkled on top. You could also substitute kale here.
And like I said, Whole30/Paleo or not, this is a great recipe! I’ve been eating it alongside avocado sourdough toast with fresh fruit. I’m savoring all the sourdough I can before staring my second Whole30 next week.
Egg Casserole with Sweet Potato, Butternut Squash and Sausage
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 6-8 servings||Total:|
A delicious egg casserole packed with sweet potatoes, butternut squash, sausage and spinach that can be prepped ahead for easy breakfasts. Whole30-compliant and Paleo!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup diced sweet potatoes (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup diced butternut squash
- 1 medium onion, halved and cut into thin slices
- 1 lb pork, turkey or chicken breakfast sausage
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt the coconut oil on a baking sheet in the oven and remove baking pan and toss melted coconut oil with sweet potatoes, butternut squash and onion. Season with salt and pepper and place back in the oven to roast for about 20-25 minutes, or until squash and sweet potatoes are tender but not mushy. Stir mixture after 10 minutes and every 5 after that.
- While that's roasting, heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the sausage. Cook until browned and no longer pink and then remove from skillet and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Whisk eggs with salt, garlic powder and fresh black pepper.
- Grease a 9x13 pan and place sweet potato mixture and sausage in it. Top with chopped spinach. Pour eggs over and gently stir to combine.
- Bake at 400 for about 20-25 minutes or until eggs are set in the middle. Watch it and don't let it overcook!
- Let cool and then slice into squares for serving and storage.
Recipe adapted from PaleOMG.