You guys are going to LOVE this Total Body Tabata Blast Workout. I’ve taught it three times this week and all of my students had great things to say about after…and LOTS of feedback about how they were feeling the day or two after. 😉
I love a good tabata workout. They’re such an amazing blend of cardio and strength. Personally, I find their top selling point to be how much you can cram into a short amount of time. This total body tabata workout is only 36 minutes long but I promise that you will get a total body workout and will be dripping in sweat at the end.
I’m going to keep up my total salesgirl pitch right now and tell you that it’s also very accessible because many of the exercises use bodyweight only and the ones with dumbbells could easily be substituted for a bodyweight or resistance band variation so you can do it at home or on the go.
Here are the details…
TOTAL BODY TABATA BLAST WORKOUT
I love you guys but I didn’t take pictures or make a video for this one because you’ve seen all of these exercises on my blog before. If you really sweet talk me I might consider leading the whole workout on a Facebook live so let me know if that’s something you’re interested in.
Some notes for clarity…
- It’s helpful to download a tabata timer app. There are many of them available in the app store.
- The single leg reach variation is just putting dumbbell out in front of you (or a cone or a water bottle or whatever) and reaching to tap it instead of doing a weighted single leg deadlift.
- The kneeling single arm row is done in a low lunge position with your forearm across the thigh in front and the dumbbell in the other hand. You’re slightly hinged forward, gaze in front of your front foot and core engaged. With the hand holding the dumbbell, row the elbow straight back behind you, squeezing the upper back.
- To modify for no dumbbells…go bodyweight on all squats, lunges and deadlifts. For the upper body, use a resistance band and perform the same exact movements!
- Oh and my biggest FYI is that tabata push ups are the worst no matter how you slice it and dice it. I highly recommend setting a goal number for yourself and trying to maintain that every round so you don’t go out too fast and find your arms have turned to mush. I think 8 is a great goal and that ends up being 64 push ups in just 4 minutes!
As always, I would love to hear your feedback and I’m available for questions.
Looking for more tabata?
The Home Bodyweight Tabata Workout That Rocked My World
28 Minute Bodyweight Tabata Workout
December Tabata Bodyweight Workout
I would love for you to teach this live!!
If it’s not too much to ask, I’d LOVE a full video of you doing this so I don’t have to worry about timing it myself, and can just go along with you. In all your spare time, right?! Just thought I’d throw it out there if you’re feeling generous!! I love videos were I just hit play and that’s it! Much more motivating!!
Love these styles of heavy hitter workouts! You can fit 30 minutes in anywhere!
Wow, that looks like a killer eeek!
Can I ask what part of Florida your parents live? The. Wa he’s look nice and u seem to like it there.
yes, of course! they’re in northwest florida on the panhandle. it’s the destin/fort walton beach area. i’d recommend anything from fort walton through destin and down 30a – seaside, alice beach, watercolor, etc. GORGEOUS! and off-season is a great time to visit!
I did this workout this AM and it was awesome!
yay! so happy to hear this! 🙂
I just finished this awesome workout…dripping in sweat as I type. I made a few modifications as I’m 10 months postpartum with my second baby. I did a static plank hold instead of the bicycle crunches and during the arm rows I did them from a plank position alternating right and left throughout the 20 seconds. Great workout and I was thrilled to see there were no burpees 😉 Would love a live session if you can manage it. Thanks for posting this…with two kids under three, workouts at home are my saving grace if I can’t get out for a run! Love your blog!
Did this workout today and loved it! I need to start incorporating more tabata workouts into my week. Thank you for the workout!
Did this workout with body weight on the pier overlooking the Manhattan skyline. I used pull up bars in sub for the bicep curls and did a round of burgers instead of rows. I added explosive jumps to the goblet squats because I didn’t have weights or bands. And jogged 60-90 seconds between rounds.
Already feel my body “talking”. Thanks Jen for awesome workout inspiration!
I meant “burpees” instead of “burgers” HAH!