Happy Super Bowl Sunday! I am SUPER PUMPED to cheer on the Panthers tonight. I decided to channel some of my enthusiasm into creating a killer “Super Bowl Super Set Workout” for you guys! Read all about super sets and why I love them in this post.
I organized the workout into four super sets where you will perform three rounds of 11 reps (get it? 11 men on the field, so clever…) of each set before moving onto the next. I designed this workout to hit all the major muscle groups while also including movements that will get your heart rate up using things like burpees (everyone’s favorite!) and jump lunges and squats.
Ready, set, go! Here’s your workout!
- Barbell or kettlebell thruster – squat to press overhead.
- Barbell or kettlebell facing burpee – do a burpee and then instead of jumping up in the air, jump over your barbell or kettlebell. Turn around to face again and repeat. Fun times.
- Dumbbell plank rows with a push up – place hands on two dumbells. Hold a plank with feet hip distance or a little wider. Perform a single arm row on each side and then do one push up, knees or toes. Your goal is to keep a straight body line and hips square throughout the movement.
- Jump lunges – you know the drill. Modify to a forward stepping lunge if needed.
- Kettlebell single arm alternating sumo dead lift high pull (see this video, you can also use a dumbbell)
- 180 degree squat jumps – just like it sounds…do a squat jump but do a half turn each time. Tap the floor and explode reaching arms overhead every rep.
- Overhead walking lunges – hold a dumbbell or plate overhead as you do walking lunges. This will be really nice after burning out your shoulders on thrusters and doing all those jump lunges and squats. 🙂
- Twisted mountain climbers – knee to opposite elbow in high plank. You can do this fast or slow.
As always, I welcome your feedback and questions!
Now, here are my workouts for the week.
1 mile treadmill run + personal training session + hot yoga
We focused on pressing exercises for our first session of the week. Lots of chest, triceps and shoulders with all sorts of core and leg work thrown in there too.
20 minute treadmill run (5 mins warm, 15 mins sprints) + personal training session
Our second session of the week was all about pulling and did we ever pull and pull and pull some more. I knew I was in trouble when 10 minutes into the workout I had already done nearly 60 pull ups (3 sets wide grip, 3 sets narrow grip) and the fun just kept coming with rope pulls, inverted rows, deadlifts and more.
I kept it low-key with an unheated flow class because I taught three hot classes on Friday and just couldn’t be in the room for a fourth hour.
3 mile treadmill interval run + strength
10 minutes easy to warm up followed by about 13 rounds of 45 seconds on, 15 seconds off starting at 7 minute mile pace and working down to 5:40.
SET 1, 4 ROUNDS
10 barbell front squats (75#)
10 bodyweight reverse lunges (each leg)
SET 2, 4 ROUNDS
10 straight leg barbell RDLs (75#)
7 barbell roll outs
SET 3, 3 ROUNDS
10 hamstring curls (each leg)
15 dumbbell chest flies (20#)
10 push ups
SET 4, 3 ROUNDS
10 dumbbell bicep curls (15#)
10 overhead tricep extension (25#)
What team are you cheering on tonight?