Here is the first of the recipes from Bakin’ and Eggs. Some recipes I will actually be remaking, rephotographing and reblogging and others I’ll just be reposting. Today is a repost because I wanted to get this recipe up before the last of the peaches are gone and I’m happy with the photography here. Some of the photos in the early days of Bakin’ and Eggs were less than stellar! 😉
So here’s my narrative and the recipe for amazing Spiced Peach Carrot Bread. Originally posted on Bakin’ and Eggs August 28, 2011.
I have been getting so much inspiration from Southern Living this summer. I’m not sure if maybe they’ve had a change in their food department or have just been focusing more on improving/freshening their food features but the recipes they have been publishing have been wonderful! I have a long list of things that I’d like to try from recent issues.
This Spiced Peach Carrot Bread was a “must make ASAP” and given the constant presence of peaches on my counter during the late summer months, I had all the ingredients on hand. I really enjoy quick breads and loved the idea of peach and carrot bread in lieu of the usual banana base.
I made some modifications to the original recipe. I doubled the spices, replaced some of the oil with Greek yogurt and added vanilla extract. The bread turned out beautifully and it’s so easy to prepare. You only need one bowl and no mixer! It was great on its own and it was especially tasty topped with almond butter for breakfast. This will definitely become a yearly summer staple.
Enjoy the last of the summer peaches (before we are bombarded with all things pumpkin and winter squash!) and make this recipe.
Spiced Peach Carrot Bread
(Recipe adapted from Southern Living – July 2011)
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped fresh peaches
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9 x 5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Toast pecans either in the oven in a shallow pan for 8-10 minutes or on the stove top in a pan over medium heat. Stir occasionally. When they are fragrant and slightly darkened in color, they are ready. Allow to cool.
- Stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the peaches, carrots, oil, yogurt, milk, eggs, vanilla and pecans and stir until just moistened and combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing and placing on a wire rack to completely cool.