I’m kicking off Halloween week with a recipe for Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers that offers a very festive twist!
While carving your peppers like Jack O’ Lanterns is optional, trying this recipe shouldn’t be! In the past I’ve always thought rice or grain mixture when stuffing peppers but I am here to tell you that homemade macaroni and cheese is an excellent and delicious alternative and I’m glad I gave it a try!
Here’s the ingredients lineup. The homemade mac and cheese couldn’t be simpler. It’s made in one pot with just seven ingredients. It was so easy, creamy, cheesy and tasty that it made me never want to use boxed macaroni and cheese again.
You start by whipping up a cheese sauce that is butter, flour, milk, cheese and greek yogurt whisked together with a little bit of garlic (or garlic powder) and salt.
Stir in your cooked pasta and you’re done! You can totally use traditional macaroni pasta here, I just like to use different shapes and whatever I have on hand.
If you’re going with Jack O’ Lanterns, the next step is to “carve” your peppers. I’d like to share that I am not crafty (at all) and was pretty proud of how cute these turned out. If you’re not carving the peppers, just cut the tops off and scoop out the seeds.
Next up is a topping of panko mixed with salt and melted butter. I love a crunchy topping on macaroni and cheese and thought the panko would add a nice texture contrast with the pasta and peppers. I propped the pepper tops off to the side while baking so that the panko would get crispy and browned.
After about 30 minutes in the oven, you have the cutest (and most delicious!) stuffed peppers. This recipe is kid and adult friendly. 🙂
Here it is!
MACARONI AND CHEESE STUFFED PEPPERSPrint
A recipe for macaroni and cheese stuffed peppers that features a simple, creamy and delicious homemade macaroni and cheese and the option to carve the peppers like Jack O’ Lanterns for a festive Halloween twist!
6 orange bell peppers
8 ounces elbow macaroni or pasta of your choice, cooked according to package directions
7 ounces Truly Grass Fed Naturally Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons Truly Grass Fed Naturally Creamy Butter, divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1 clove garlic, smashed and minced or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup whole or 2% milk
¼ cup plain greek yogurt
½ cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the tops off of the peppers and carve a Jack O’ Lantern face into each one.
- Melt two tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour, salt and garlic and cook for about 1 minute or until very lightly browned.
- Slowly add the milk and greek yogurt and whisk until smooth.
- Cook mixture over medium-low heat, whisking often, for 3-5 minutes or until thickened. Be careful not to let it boil.
- Add cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Add cooked pasta to the pan and stir until combined with cheese sauce. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
- In a small bowl, melt remaining one tablespoon of butter and toss with panko breadcrumbs and a pinch of salt.
- Place peppers in a baking dish. Fill with the macaroni and cheese and top with panko mixture.
- Place the tops back on the peppers but off to the side so that the panko can brown while cooking.
- Cook for 30-35 minutes or until peppers are tender and can be pierced easily.
Keywords: stuffed peppers, halloween, macaroni and cheese, pasta, meatless
Do you enjoy making festive foods for holidays? Any Halloween favorites to share?