A recipe for macaroni and cheese stuffed peppers that features a simple, creamy and delicious homemade macaroni and cheese and the option to carve the peppers like Jack O’ Lanterns for a festive Halloween twist!
6 orange bell peppers
8 ounces elbow macaroni or pasta of your choice, cooked according to package directions
7 ounces Truly Grass Fed Naturally Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons Truly Grass Fed Naturally Creamy Butter, divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1 clove garlic, smashed and minced or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup whole or 2% milk
¼ cup plain greek yogurt
½ cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the tops off of the peppers and carve a Jack O’ Lantern face into each one.
- Melt two tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour, salt and garlic and cook for about 1 minute or until very lightly browned.
- Slowly add the milk and greek yogurt and whisk until smooth.
- Cook mixture over medium-low heat, whisking often, for 3-5 minutes or until thickened. Be careful not to let it boil.
- Add cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Add cooked pasta to the pan and stir until combined with cheese sauce. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
- In a small bowl, melt remaining one tablespoon of butter and toss with panko breadcrumbs and a pinch of salt.
- Place peppers in a baking dish. Fill with the macaroni and cheese and top with panko mixture.
- Place the tops back on the peppers but off to the side so that the panko can brown while cooking.
- Cook for 30-35 minutes or until peppers are tender and can be pierced easily.
Keywords: stuffed peppers, halloween, macaroni and cheese, pasta, meatless