Last week I posted a photo of this Italian Chicken Casserole to my Instagram story and was immediately inundated with recipe requests through DM.
I mean, what’s not to love about a cheesy baked pasta dish? Always a winner in my book…and clearly yours too! So before we proceed…some notes…
- I have a lot of Paleo, Whole30, gluten-free, dairy-free, healthy, etc recipes on my site…this ain’t one of them! Exit now if pasta and cheese aren’t your thing.
- My dad made this dish, I just got to eat it and enjoy it. Because I wasn’t involved in the preparation and cooking process, I only have photos of the finished product.
- As far as the photos go, they’re not really “recipe-share worthy” but again, so many of you requested it that I decided, who cares!
Now that you’ve been properly warned, let’s move on!
Italian Chicken Casserole
This is a linguine-based casserole that’s packed with chicken, spinach, mushrooms, sundried tomatoes and has a decadent cream sauce.
We had some leftover grilled chicken breasts that my dad used in this recipe and the grilled chicken added SO much flavor to the dish. You can use any chicken that you cook or have leftover (or even rotisserie) but if you can find any way to use grilled chicken here, you won’t regret it!
Also, my dad didn’t have sundried tomatoes on hand so he used roasted red peppers instead…it was a great swap and worked well in this dish.
This recipe is a crowd pleaser and it also makes enough to feed a crowd! Serve it alongside a salad and some warm, crusty bread for a delicious, comforting meal!Print
A creamy baked pasta dish that’s packed with chicken, spinach, sundried tomatoes and mushrooms and topped with cheese!
- 1 pound cooked, cubed chicken breasts (recommended grilled, can also use rotisserie to make it easier)
- 1 box (16 ounces) linguine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped OR roasted red peppers if you want to change it up!
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or any Italian cheese blend)
- Cook linguine according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare a 13×9 casserole dish by coating with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add garlic and sundried tomatoes and cook for about 2 more minutes, stirring frequently and careful not to let the garlic burn. Stir in cornstarch and make sure it coats mushrooms, garlic and tomatoes.
- Add chicken broth, heavy cream and milk, whisking quickly. Add salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mixture should thicken a bit.
- Add spinach and parmesan cheese to milk mixture and remove from heat.
- Pour sauce over cooked noodles and add chicken. Stir mixture and then transfer to prepared casserole dish. Top with shredded mozzarella.
- Bake covered with foil for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown. You can also turn the broiler on for a few minutes to get it nice and brown but if you do that WATCH IT closely so it doesn’t burn!
Recipe adapted from Shugary Sweets.
Keywords: pasta, casserole, chicken