For the last year I have been so hooked on granola! I love it for snacking and for topping my smoothies. The granola gives my smoothies serious staying power and keeps me full considerably longer than when I leave it off. After trying just about every granola brand and variety offered at Whole Foods (and spending a small fortune on granola), I decided to start experimenting with making my own a few months ago. First I developed this Peanut Butter Chia Seed Granola that I made non-stop for about a month. While I still love that granola recipe, I wanted to develop a new recipe that was almond-based and had less nut butter in it.
May I present to you Honey Almond & Coconut Granola. It took three tries to perfect the recipe but it’s ready to share!
I like to keep my granola ingredients simple. The cost (and the calories!) can really add up if you start including a lot of dried fruits, nuts and other specialty ingredients. I usually challenge myself to make do with what I have on hand because I figure it I have it in my pantry, there’s a good chance you do too!
This recipe includes a mixture of oats, honey, coconut oil, almond butter, dried coconut and sliced almonds. The three flavors I wanted to highlight were honey, almond and coconut. The recipe includes a good bit of honey, which gives it an awesome flavor and sticky/chewy texture. I doubled up on the almonds with almond butter and sliced almonds and also doubled up on the coconut with coconut oil and coconut flakes.
While I don’t mind crunchy granola, I like to soft bake mine so it’s a little chewy in the center. This is a great recipe for that!
You can make this granola in time. I can have it assembled in 5 minutes and it only bakes for about 15 minutes. After a short cooling time, it’s ready to break into clusters and enjoy! This granola is a great snack and also good on yogurt, with milk or on top of smoothies. It also makes a great gift in jars!
Honey Almond & Coconut Granola
(Recipe developed by Jen Eddins)
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats, organic if possible
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted sliced almonds
- Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir well to completely coat oats and combine.
- Spread granola on baking sheet and place in oven. Bake 15 minutes or until edges are just starting to get golden brown. The granola will still seem pretty soft when you take it out but it will firm up as it cools. Allow granola to cool on pan before breaking it into clusters. Store in an airtight container.