I have a recipe to share with you today that might be the best recipe I’ve shared in a long time!
Let me introduce you to homemade Peanut Butter Chia Seed Granola! I wish I could say I’m exaggerating but I’ve made this granola FOUR times in the past eight days. It’s that good. (And hey…I was trying to get the recipe just right before sharing it.)
I’ve been on a big kick since last October of topping my smoothies with granola and eating them with a spoon. That led to having granola in the house all the time and snacking on it regularly. Before I knew it I was going through 1-2 bags of granola a week…and good granola isn’t cheap! I was paying anywhere from $5-$8 per bag on average for the good stuff.
So I decided to make my own good stuff.
The ingredients list is super simple: peanut butter, oats, kosher salt, vanilla, coconut oil, honey and chia seeds.
The prep is also super simple and it takes less than five minutes to get everything mixed together and on the baking sheet.
After a quick 20 minutes in the oven the granola emerges puffy, golden brown and clumped together.
After letting it cool, I gently break it into clusters and then transfer it to airtight storage containers.
Where it quickly disappears in less than 24 hours! 🙂
This granola is really basic but super delicious. It’s sweet, a little salty and very peanut buttery. I’ve tried it with honey and maple syrup and both are delicious but the syrup definitely gives it a strong maple flavor. The granola cooks in a 300 degree oven and my baking instructions will leave you with granola that’s not rock hard. I can’t stand super crunchy granola. This granola is the perfect blend of crisp edges with a little bit of chew in the center.
Enjoy and let me know if you try it!
Peanut Butter Chia Seed Granola
(Recipe developed by Jen DeCurtins, Peanut Butter Runner)
- 1/2 cup natural style peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 3 cups old fashioned oats (not quick)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together peanut butter, honey, coconut oil and vanilla. Stir in oats, salt and chia seeds and mix well until oats are evenly coated with peanut butter mixture.
- Spread the oat mixture into a relatively thin layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Granola will still seem soft when you remove it from the oven but it will set as it cools. Do not keep baking it until it’s crispy. You will have overdone granola!
- Let cool completely before gently breaking into clusters. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.