Happy Global Running Day! Who’s celebrating with a run?
Scott Broome Photography
I thought that Global Running Day would be a great time to update you guys on the 2019 running goals that I shared back in December, especially now that we’re almost halfway through 2019 (what!?).
Here they are, along with commentary on where I am with them!
2019 RUNNING GOALS: UPDATE
- Run 2-3 times per week. This has always been a sweet spot for me that allows me to also fit in things like strength training and yoga, which are important to me as well.
Nailing this one! Running has felt so good for me in 2019 and I’m consistently running 2-3 times per week, but pretty much never more than that.
- Build a solid base back where running 8-10 miles feels doable on a regular basis.
Most of my runs are in the 4-5 mile range but in the last 2 months I have done some 6, 7 and 8 milers so I am getting there.
- Stay on top of preventing injuries by focusing on dynamic stretching, strength training, yoga, massage and bodywork when needed.
I am on it when it comes to stretching and strength training but I need to work more yoga practice into my weekly routine (it’s just so hard because I can run with Finn…I have to get childcare to go to yoga). I also can’t tell you the last time I had a massage so I need to get semi-regular with that again, especially since I am teaching strength 2x week now.
- Train for a half marathon, either late spring or in the fall of 2019.
I missed late spring but definitely planning on a fall half.
- Apply to be an ambassador for the Charlotte Marathon. I would love to partner with the Charlotte Marathon again as an ambassador.
I decided not to apply this year. I am leading two yoga teacher trainings this summer/fall that are taking up a lot of my time and weekends. I didn’t want to stretch myself to thin or not be able to meet the ambassador duties/requirements. I am planning to run the Charlotte Half Marathon again this year. I have that weekend free from TT.
- Host another online training group for the Charlotte Marathon and Half Marathon and try to get as many of you in Charlotte with me to run it! Go ahead and save the date for November 16, 2019!
Yes! This is 100% happening. We’ll kick it off in August! 🙂
Deeanna Kourtney Photography
So there you have it! I think I’m doing pretty well with my 2019 goals and I’m very happy to be back to running regularly. On that note, I definitely think that all the miles pushing this stroller are making me a stronger runner. Whew, stroller running is no joke!
MY # 1 FAVORITE RUNNING SHOES: NEWTON FATE
I rotate between 3-4 different pairs of running shoes (as you see in photos above, I also like Asics, Brooks and Under Armour) but Newton Fate’s are always my top pick and I probably wear them on 80% of my runs and in all of my races.
I was first introduced to the Newton brand back in 2015 when the Mizunos I was running in were discontinued. I started in Newton’s first Fate model…the Fate 1…and I’ve run in every single model they have released since. I just received a pair of Fate 5s from the team at Newton and per usual…I am obsessed. I connected with Newton’s marketing director after blogging about switching to Newtons. She was a blog reader and thrilled that I’d found my way into Newtons. How fun! We have kept in touch ever since and I even served as an ambassador for Newton a couple of years ago.
The Fate 5s are super comfortable, bright and fun. Newton is known for their brightly colored shoe designs. 🙂 I think they’re the best release yet.
The Newton Fate is a neutral shoe that Newton says is, “The shoe for everyone. The Fate 5 was designed with a little bit of pop and a lot of comfort to give runners the perfect ride.”
Some features of the Fate 5:
- Level platform – Newton shoes have a lower heel to toe drop so that you are in a more natural running position.
- Action/reaction technology – Newton shoes features “lugs” across the forefoot that create responsive, trampoline-like cushioning system that provides quicker bounce-back and loses less energy than traditional foam-core running shoes.
- Full foot cushioning and protection.
- Breathable open weave mesh upper.
I reached out to my contact at Newton to ask if they would give y’all a discount and they said YES!!! I am thrilled to share code PBR15 with you for 15% off anything on the Newton site for the next week!
NEWTON FATE 5 GIVEAWAY
Want to try them out for yourself? Newton has offered to send one of you a fresh new pair of Fate 5s!
If you’d like to enter for a chance to win, leave a comment below sharing a running goal that you have for the second half of 2019! Or one that you’ve already accomplished in 2019!
Giveaway open to U.S. readers only. One entry per person. Giveaway closes at midnight EST on Sunday, June 9.