If you’ve been reading my blog for any length of time you know that I am so cold natured and hate being cold. Thus my love for hot yoga, hot tea, hot summer runs (yes, I’m one of those crazy people who doesn’t mind running in the heat), the space heater that sits next to my desk, scarves, hot showers, hoodies…basically all things warm. When I worked in an office I used to sit on a heating pad if I couldn’t use a space heater!
This is a big problem for me during the winter months because I love and need sunshine and fresh air as much as I hate being cold. So what’s a girl to do? 1) Dress appropriately. 2) Suck it up.
Luckily, I am getting some help this fall with dressing appropriately. I recently received the most amazing cold weather gear from Columbia to test and I can already tell you that this jacket and these boots will not be leaving my body as the temperatures drop this winter. If you 1) are equally as cold natured as I am or 2) live somewhere with cold winters, keep on reading.
My feet stay cold during the winter so I’m always in warm socks or boots. These Minx Boots from Columbia are probably one of the most comfortable pairs of shoes I have ever put on my feet. They’re incredibly lightweight but so soft and warm. It’s like wearing a soft cozy jacket on your feet.
I think the faux fur lining in the upper part of the shoe is fun and stylish but they’re also extremely functional. The inside of the shoes are insulated and rated -25F/-32C.
And the outside of the boots are made of a waterproof woven synthetic material. Even though they are designed with a lot of laces, they are super easy to slip on and off and fit well over jeans (and fit well with thick socks).
I also tried out the Turbodown Jacket. Believe it or not, this the first down jacket I have ever owned (cut me some slack…I grew up in the South) and I am a convert. This jacket is so light while being so warm. The technology is awesome! And I love this rich purple color I chose. I almost went with basic black but I’m glad I went with purple instead.
The shell is water-resistant and retains heat, even when wet. The Turbodown jacket features a combination of 60g Omni-Heat® synthetic insulation and 800-fill goose down. The Omni-Heat is the silver dots you see in the lining. They’re meant to reflect body heat and make up 35% of the heat retaining lining.
I have been buying Columbia gear since I was in college and (fleece jackets and vests, hats, rain jackets and more) and I’m excited to have these two new products to get me through the winter. I will definitely be putting my new gear to use as the temperatures drop so that I can continue to soak up the sun and enjoy the fresh air.
Here are my five favorite ways to stay active outside during the colder months:
1) Playing with Sullie. Running around in the yard with Sullie is always a fun way to get some fresh air.
2) Hiking. We are so lucky to have great hiking options within two hours of us here in Charlotte. I love heading to the Asheville area or Crowder’s Mountain for a hike.
3) Running…especially fall races! Can’t wait to run the Thunder Road Half again in a few weeks!
4) Walking (especially on our rare snow days!) and especially with the pup!
5) Outdoor events like football games, oyster roasts, bonfires, camping, festivals, etc. I need to make time for more of this stuff in my life! I wish I could include mountain activities like skiing on my list but there’s just not a ton of that available around here. I do love to ski! (Although I am always terrified I am going to injure myself!)
What are your favorite ways to stay active outside during the cold weather months?
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Columbia through their partnership with POPSUGAR Select. While I was compensated to write a post about Columbia outerwear, all opinions are my own.