Three weeks down and one to go in the Ultimate Plank Challenge!
If you’re just catching up, I’m hosting a 31 day plank challenge in celebration of my new book, Ultimate Plank Fitness. It’s a compilation of 101 different plank exercises for the ultimate in core training…and a total body workout! It’s available for sale at many national retailers. The retail price is only about $15 and it’s a high quality, beautiful book with full color photography. It’s also available for Kindle. There are photos and written explanations for every single plank variation.
The way this challenge works is that every day I post a short (less than 5 minute) plank workout assignment on Instagram. The challenge moves through a variety of different planks and related exercises from full plank to side plank to reverse plank and more. The idea is at the end of 31 days of consistently planking you will see a big improvement in your core strength and overall strength.
DAY 15: SIDE PLANK WITH FOOT TAPS
Three sets of 10 on each side. Form notes: – begin in side plank – lift the top leg and tap foot in front of and behind you – modification on the knee
DAY 16: PUSH UP SIDE PLANKS
I use these all the time in my yoga classes and with personal training clients. Perform 3 sets of 10 (10 push ups total so that would be 5 side planks on each side).
– start in high plank
– perform one push up and then roll to sides of feet for the side plank
– it’s okay to keep the feet split and not stack them on top of each other each time
– modification on the knees
DAY 17: TREE SIDE PLANK
This variation combines a popular yoga pose with a side plank for a fun twist on core training. Your assignment for today is just to have fun with this one and take your photo outside or in a fun setting! It’s Sunday…relax a little!
– start in side plank
– place the foot of the top leg either on the bottom shin or thigh to find the tree position…be sure to stay off of the knee joint
– lift the too arm up and maybe overhead
– as you feel steady, maybe try to lift chest and gaze to sky
DAY 18: SIDE FOREARM PLANK OBLIQUE CRUNCHES
3 sets of 10 on each side. These burn the obliques so much!
– begin in side forearm plank with arm horizontally placed and shoulder stacked over elbow
– place opposite hand behind the head and make a fist with the grounded hand
– crunch top elbow to bottom fist while keeping hips lifted
DAY 19: STATIC SIDE FOREARM PLANK
Last day of side planks…I needed coffee to get through mine! 3×20 second holds for a minute total on each side! Modification on the knee.
DAY 20: REVERSE PLANK TABLE HIP DIPS
We are flipping over our planks today and and working on reverse table. Reverse planks are great for strengthening the posterior chain which includes glutes, hamstrings and low back. For today you will lift and lower the hips. Do 3 sets of 8 and hold the last one up for an 8 count.
– to find table sit on the floor with knees bent and hands under shoulders and fingertips facing the butt
– press into palms and feet and lift hips
– let head fall back slightly to keep neck long
DAY 21: REVERSE PLANK HOLD
10 days left! Today’s assignment is a static hold in full reverse plank. I love reverse planks because they’re sneaky hard and give you a treat stretch in the shoulders. Three sets of 15-20 second holds.
– start in a seated position with legs extended out in front of you and hands under shoulders with fingertips facing the butt
– press into the palms and the heels and lift the hips
– allow the head to fall back and gaze to fall behind you
– think about rotating your inner thighs in towards each other
This challenge is sponsored by Premier Protein. I am working with them on an ambassadorship and my stash of Premier Protein Bars and Shakes have been powering me through my planks. They’ll be giving away a sweet prize pack at the end of the challenge so be sure to use the hashtag #ultimateplankchallenge and tag me @jdecurtins and @premierprotein.
Now, get to planking!