If you’re looking for a “set it and forget it” recipe for a delicious beanless chili, then do I ever have the recipe for you! This chili is packed with hunks of sweet potato and carrot along with ground lamb or beef and lots of warm, comforting spices. I guarantee that you won’t miss the beans!
It’s Whole30 and Paleo friendly but I can honestly say this is something I would make regardless of whether I was on Whole30 or not. It’s so good and flavorful and I actually prefer the sweet potatoes over beans.
I have been using my slow cooker so much more frequently over the last few months. There’s nothing like coming home to a house that smells amazing and a hearty, comforting dinner. Since I’ve been getting such high usage out of my slow cooker, I decided it was time for an upgrade. My previous slow cooker only held four quarts and had limited heat settings with no timer function. It was a hand me down from who knows how many years ago. I felt like I could barely fit enough to fit two people with a small amount of leftovers into the crockpot and it always seemed overcrowded.
I selected this shiny, new Fridgidaire Professional Stainless Steel Slow Cooker. My favorite features of this crock pot are the multiple heat settings. With one touch you can choose between buffet, soup, low, medium, high or warm. It’s also fully programmable and at the end of your cooking cycle it will go to auto keep-warm to hold the temperature for up to three hours. This is PERFECT for those nights that I get stuck at the studio or gym longer than anticipated and I don’t have to worry about my food burning or spoiling.
The first recipe I made with my new slow cooker was this amazing Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili and I’m so excited to share it with you today!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili
By: Jen EddinsPrint
- 1 lb grass fed ground beef or ground lamb
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped into small rounds
- 3 small to medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (14-oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted if you want to kick it up a notch)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2–3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1–2 teaspoons cinnamon (I went more on the 2 side but hold back if you don’t want to taste it pretty
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (You may use more or less. I skew to the side of more salt, especially with this
- many potatoes but use your judgement. You can always add at the end!)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon (or more) fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups low-sodium beef or chicken broth (reduce salt in recipe if you are using regular stock)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (this is the last thing added at the end of cooking)
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker except for the cocoa powder and either cook on low for 8 hours or medium for 6. At the end of cooking stir in the cocoa powder. Taste and add seasoning as necessary. Serve with avocado and toppings of your choice.