I know you guys appreciate an easy recipe as much as I do so when I was creating this chicken, sweet potato and black bean chili recipe I tried to keep it as simple as possible.
The relatively short ingredient list does not make for a chili that is lacking in flavor. This bowl is full of flavor while keeping things on the healthier side. It’s a filling, protein-packed lunch for those surprise cold March and April days.
It was SNOWING in Charlotte when I woke up this morning. This is the time of year where it might be 75 degrees, sunny and gorgeous or 35, gray and snowing. It always makes me crave a few last comfort food meals before transitioning to lighter summer fare.
The main ingredients are chicken thighs, sweet potatoes, an onion, garlic, fire-roasted tomatoes, chicken broth and black beans.
The spice lineup features chili powder, cayenne, cumin, cinnamon and oregano. This is where the big flavor punch comes in. And using chicken thighs instead of breasts always ups the flavor of a dish in my opinion.
You start by sauteeing diced chicken thighs, onions and garlic together and then adding the spices to make sure the chicken and onions are fully coated with the spice mix and very fragrant.
Next up add the sweet potatoes, black beans and tomatoes.
And then cover it all with chicken broth, give it a stir and let it simmer. This chili can be ready in under an hour or you can let it cook a little longer. It’s very forgiving. You just want to make sure the sweet potatoes are cooked through.
It thickens as is simmers and all the flavors come together for a delicious pot of chicken, sweet potato and black bean chili that I know you’ll love!
Of course I think toppings bring the deliciousness factor to another level. My favorites include avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream or plain greek yogurt, cilantro, lime wedges and crushed tortilla chips.
Here’s the recipe!
Simple Chicken, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili Recipe
Simple Chicken, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 6 servings||Total:|
A recipe for chicken, sweet potato and black bean chili that is simple, easy, healthy and delicious!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 4), diced
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14-oz) can of black beans, rinsed
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (28-oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, with juices
- About 21 ounces chicken broth (empty can of tomatoes filled about 3/4 full of broth)
- Toppings of choice: cheese, avocado, sour cream, greek yogurt, etc
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add chicken and onions and saute until chicken is browned and onions begin to soften. Add garlic and continue to saute for another minute or so. Add spices and continue to cook, stirring the whole time, for about 1 minute. Chicken and onion mixture should be well-coated and mixture very fragrant.
- Add black beans, sweet potatoes, tomatoes and chicken broth and stir. Simmer covered for about 30-45 minutes on low heat. Remove lid and continue to cook for another 15-30 minutes, or until mixture is thickened to your liking.
- Serve with toppings of choice.
Do you eat chili all year long or phase it out as the weather gets warmer?
Favorite chili toppings?
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how you liked it!
More chili recipes you might love…