We are only six weeks into 2023 but I already know that this peanut butter chocolate chip banana bread is going to be one of my best baking creations of the year. I have no doubt that I’ll make this recipe over and over again for many years to come!
PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD
This peanut butter chocolate chip banana bread is soft, caky and moist. It has just the right level of sweetness and is full of peanut butter and banana flavor. To be honest, I’m not usually a fan of chocolate chips in banana bread but they’re a must here…especially when you serve the bread warm and they get a little melty.
PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD INGREDIENTS
- Bananas – the riper, the better!
- Sugar – both white and brown.
- Unsalted butter – 100% recommend butter over oil in this recipe.
- Plain greek yogurt – I used whole milk greek yogurt but you can definitely use 2% or even nonfat.
- Natural peanut butter – I used the Trader Joe’s brand of salted natural peanut butter (the kind you have to stir before using). I have not tried this recipe with regular peanut butter like Jif or Skippy.
- All-purpose flour – I have not tried this recipe with gluten-free flour or wheat flour. I think you could potentially swap one-third to one-half of the flour for wheat and have it work.
- Baking soda
- Chocolate chips – I used a mixture of semi-sweet chocolate chunks and chips.
TIPS + TRICKS: PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD
- Use a mixer (stand or hand) for easy mashing of the bananas. I love the uniform consistency that the mixer gives the mashed bananas.
- Line your loaf pan (I love this one) with parchment paper with overhangs on all sides for easy removal of the bananas bread from the pan. This is a great tip for quick breads and lets you skip the step of spraying the pan and hoping nothing sticks upon removal.
- Use an instant read thermometer to help you test doneness. It can be so hard to know if banana bread is done in the center because it often browns nicely on the outside before baked through. You’re looking for an internal temperature between 200 and 205 degrees Fahrenheit.
- I know you’re supposed to wait and cut into banana bread when it’s fully cooled but it that even humanly possible? I think the only time the end pieces of banana bread are superior is when it’s fresh out of the oven and has that amazing crisp to the edges.
- Individually wrap slices in plastic wrap to freeze. Pull them out and defrost at room temp or in the microwave for 40 seconds at 50% power.
Last thing I’ll say is that no one will be mad at you if you gift them a loaf of this peanut butter chocolate chip banana bread. As my four-year-old likes to remind me, “sharing is caring.”
Let’s get to the recipe!
PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD RECIPEPrint
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
This peanut butter chocolate chip banana bread is soft, caky and moist. It has just the right level of sweetness and is full of peanut butter and banana flavor.
3 ripe bananas
1/3 cup cane or white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (I used salted)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 and prepare a 9X5 loaf pan by lining with parchment paper, leaving overhangs on the sides
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment or using a handheld mixer, mash bananas until they’re a thick paste. Add sugars, melted butter, yogurt, and peanut butter and mix on medium speed. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until just combined – don’t over mix!
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
4. Add to wet ingredients with mixed on low speed until just combined.
5. Fold in chocolate chips.
6. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Baking times will vary. May take a little longer but don’t over bake!
7. Let cool in pan for a few mins and then lift out using parchment and cool completely on a wire rack.
Keywords: banana bread, baking, peanut butter
MORE BANANA BREAD RECIPES
Carrot Maple Oat Banana Bread
Perfect Paleo Banana Bread
Spiced Zucchini, Carrot Banana Bread
Peanut Butter Coconut Banana Bread
I cannot wait to try this!
I’m definitely going to make this. Every recipe of yours I’ve tried has turned out great, so I know this will be good. I made some banana muffins the other day from the “Moosewood Restaurant Book of Desserts” and added a cup or so of dried tart cherries. They were fantastic! The combination of tart cherries, which plumped up in the muffins, and sweet banana was really nice. Just throwing that out there if you ever have any on hand 🙂
I made this today and it’s a WINNER. My whole family loved it. Super easy and delicious!