I receive a lot of questions about maternity activewear and my response is always that I haven’t bought any maternity-specific workout apparel. I have been able to easily get by with leggings, shorts, bras and tops that I already own in addition to adding a few extra sized-up pieces as pregnancy progresses. The majority of my must-haves for pregnancy are lululemon so I thought it would be helpful to share them.
I’m pretty lucky to spend most of my days in activewear. It’s pretty much my standard uniform given my career teaching yoga and fitness and writing a health blog. 🙂 I consider myself fortunate that I haven’t had to spend a lot of money on maternity clothing given that I haven’t had to get dressed to go into an office. I can only imagine the challenge and expense that it must be.
That said, I know that MANY of you also appreciate the comfort of athleisure and I think you’ll love these Lululemon picks for maternity. They have worked great for me for everything from runs to gym workouts to yoga practices to daily leisure. And if you’re not pregnant, don’t worry! None of these picks are maternity-specific and they are my standard uniform when not pregnant too!
MY LULULEMON MATERNITY WEAR! PREGNANCY MUST-HAVES: BRAS, TANKS, TOPS
Clockwise from top left…
- Cool Racerback Tank: This tank is so comfortable and plenty long enough to cover the bump. I’m still wearing this tank at 39 weeks and I have been able to wear it in my normal size and one size up throughout all of pregnancy. The lululemon Cool Racerback is my top pick for maternity workout tanks.
- Swiftly Tech Short Sleeve Crew: this is the short sleeve version of my most favorite long sleeve Lululemon shirt ever. It’s a great tee shirt option for summer that is long and stretchy. I recommend sizing up in this one. I even like the sized-up when I’m not pregnant just for a little extra room and comfort.
- Love Tank: this is a great option if you’re looking for something with a looser fit. I also like the All Yours Tank if you’re looking for something with higher neck and even roomier fit. You can go with your normal size or one up in either of these.
- Power Y Tank: (discontinued). The Ebb to Street Tank is a nice replacement if you’re looking for a top with a built in bra. The beautiful thing about the Ebb to Street tank is that it’s seamless, soft and long enough to cover your belly. I recommend sizing up one size for pregnancy to allow belly and boob space!
- Free to be Wild Bra: I have no fewer than 10 of these bras. This style and cut is so comfortable and looks cute layered under tanks. I love that it has thicker straps instead of spaghetti straps. They never dig into me or cause any neck pain/discomfort. You’ll definitely want to size up for pregnancy, maybe even two sizes depending on how much your breasts have changed. This is a pick for ladies who are more in the range of A to small C cups. Note, the Free to Be Wild Bra is also available in a high-neck, long-line style and I love it too!
- Sit In Lotus Wrap: (discontinued). Try the Cashlu Knit Wrap instead. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve layered comfy wraps/cardigans over maternity tanks and Lulu tanks during pregnancy. This is a great one to add to your collection! If you’re looking for a short-sleeved wrap, try this one!
- Swiftly Long Sleeve Tech Crew: this is one of my top Lulu picks of all-time. I have so many of these long sleeved shirts and they are crazy comfortable. I love them for running, dog walking, errand running…you name it! They’re great for pregnancy because they’re long and stretchy. I can wear this top in my normal size but prefer it sized up for pregnancy.
- Define Jacket: if you need a lightweight layering jacket, the Define Jacket is perfectly stretchy for pregnancy and a nice length to cover the bump late into pregnancy. I would size up here.
- Free to Be Serene Bra: this bra gives you a fun strappy back but offers more coverage in the front than the Free to Be Wild Bra. If you’re more in the range of C to D cup and need a little more support and coverage, go with the Serene. Size up for pregnancy. I also love the Energy Bra for the B-D range. Again, size up for pregnancy.
MY LULULEMON MATERNITY WEAR! PREGNANCY MUST-HAVES: SHORTS, CROPS, PANTS
Clockwise from top left:
- Wunder Train Hi-Rise Crops: this is the legging you’ll want to choose for your pregnancy workouts when you’ll be working up a sweat. Size up!
- Speed Up Shorts: these are nice for running and will sit under your bump comfortably. Definitely size up and note that they are also available in a longer length.
- Align Crops: if you do one thing, whether you’re pregnant or not, PLEASE BUY THE ALIGN CROPS OR PANTS! You guys, I cannot even begin to express to you how comfortable lululemon Align leggings are. I wear them almost every single day. They have been a godsend in pregnancy. The Align crops and pants feature lululemon’s “naked” feel and are so buttery soft…but not see through! The girls at lululemon told me that they are their “unofficial maternity pants” because so many pregnant mamas love them. Note they also come in a super hi-rise which is super bump-friendly. I was able to wear my normal size most of pregnancy but had one or two pairs that were a size up towards the end.
- Align Pants: there are so many options when it comes to Align pants! From colors to the height of the rise to the length of the inseam. My personal favorite is the ankle-length fit but also like longer length that I can hook under my heels (note: I’m a shorty!) And don’t miss the super hi-rise Aligns which are a dream for pregnancy!
- Hotty Hot Shorts: I am a huge fan of lululemon’s Hotty Hot Short. I find that they run big so when I’m not pregnant, I size down. In pregnancy I have worn what would be my regular size in Lulu. These are also available in a longer length.
- Black Align Leggings or Joggers: confession…I never bought maternity jeans! I got by with some stretchy jeggings and black lululemon Align leggings or joggers. I can’t tell you how many times during the cooler months that I wore these with boots and long sweaters/tops.
(Photo Scott Broome Photography)
I hope you guys have found this post useful! Like I said, these are all lululemon favorites that I know I will continue to wear and love throughout my postpartum period as well. I can personally vouch that everything you will find here is so comfy as well as very functional! And if you do size-up for pregnancy and then find yourself with lulu that’s a little too big, I’ve found that gently-worn lululemon sells extremely well online! Just an FYI.
LULULEMON LIKE NEW
Speaking of selling used lululemon online, the brand has now launched a “like new” program where you can trade in gear that you’re no longer wearing for e-credit towards new gear. You can also shop gently worn lululemon at great prices on their website.
Looking for more maternity content?
- 6 Tips for Modifying Your Power Yoga Practice for Pregnancy
- 7 Amazing Yoga Poses for Pregnancy
- Over 30 Pregnancy Favorites/Must-Haves
- Healing from a C-Section: Emotional Recovery
- 10 Prenatal Yoga FAQs
- 5 Things I Learned About Running in the First Trimester
- Second Trimester Half Marathon Recap
What are your Lululemon must-haves?
Have you experienced the life-changing amazingness of the Align pants?
This post contains affiliate links for which I receive a small commission for the recommendations that I make. Thank you for trusting my suggestions and input! xx