The cooking streak continues thanks to a great Whole Foods restock on Sunday. For those of you who like to see the goods…
Here you have it.
Spinach penne pasta (coupon), sour cream, nutritional yeast (bulk), oat bran (bulk), eggs, gluten-free bread, tortilla chips (staple!), coffee, canned corn, canned pumpkin, cilantro, parsley, grapes, wild caught shrimp (coupon), wild caught salmon, prosciutto, diced green chiles, pears, apples, lemon, lime, mushrooms, onions, chicken broth, water crackers, seltzer water, salsa verde, tortillas, fancy cheese and spring mix.
And here are a some of my planned meals for the week.
– Creamy Shrimp, Prosciutto and Mushroom Pasta
– Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas with Salsa Verde
– Curried Pumpkin Lentil Soup
– Salad with Spice-Rubbed Broiled Salmon
So far I’ve made the shrimp pasta dish, the salmon salad and I just took a batch of Butterscotch, Pretzel and Chocolate Chip Cookies out of the oven. I think the cold weather is making me nest. Ha.
The shrimp dish was inspired by a Whole Foods coupon for buy a pound of linguine and get a pound of shrimp for free. I ended up saving $13 on the shrimp. Pretty sweet deal. They were sold out of linguine so I picked up spinach penne instead and then the wheels started turning. My dad used to make this shrimp and green noodle dish growing up. It is so delicious but really rich and heavy on the butter and cream. I used that as my idea-base and then put my own spin on it with the addition of prosciutto, spinach, mushrooms and more.
The pasta turned out better than I could have hoped and I had so much fun in the kitchen creating it…and a Highland Clawhammer Oktoberfest helped get my creativity flowing.
Gone are the summer days of natural lighting and I’m not even about to hassle with a lightbox when I’m hungry so this is the best it’s going to get in the photography department. So now the recipe, pour vous!
Creamy Shrimp, Prosciutto and Mushroom Pasta
(Recipe source Peanut Butter Runner)
- 1/2 pound spinach penne pasta (or pasta of your choosing)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 5–6 thin slices of prosciutto, or about 4 ounces
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined (this is so easy, let me know if y’all ever want a video tutorial)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or white wine
- 2 ounces light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Quarter of a lemon
- Lemon pepper or freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, if desired
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and heat until shimmering and coats bottom of pan. Add onions and mushrooms and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until they begin to soften. Add proscuitto, garlic, spinach and shrimp and continue to cook, stirring frequently. Season mixture with salt and lemon pepper (I like the Trader Joe’s Lemon Pepper Grinder). Cook until shrimp are almost done, about 3 minutes. Add chicken stock or wine and cook until evaporated. Break cream cheese into blocks and stir until melted into the mixture. Add pasta and stir until coated. Mix in parsley and a big squeeze of lemon juice and then serve. Garnish with more parsley and parmesan cheese, if desired.