Happy Friday y’all. It’s been way too long since I shared a recipe and I’m excited to tell you that I have not one but two delicious recipes coming for you in the next few days! First up is this caprese chicken breast sheet pan dinner and it will be followed by a recipe for apple cinnamon crumb muffins.
CAPRESE CHICKEN SHEET PAN DINNER
I am always on the lookout for new ways to prepare chicken breasts and I am always down for a good sheet pan meal because they are efficient and easy. In this dish, chicken breasts are layered with fresh tomatoes and creamy mozzarella cheese and topped with pesto. Broccoli florets are scattered around the chicken and then everything cooks together in the oven.
What I love the most about this chicken is the way they tomatoes and mozzarella are incorporated. Rather than stuffing the chicken or simply adding a topping, you make a hasselback potato-style cut into the chicken and nestle the tomato and mozzarella into the cuts. Then you spread a layer of pesto on top.
I love this preparation method because it’s quick and easy to do. I seriously had this dish ready to pop into the oven in under 10 minutes. I also love that the tomato and mozzarella bake into the chicken. Every single bite that you take is cheesy and flavorful.
Not only is this a perfect weeknight dinner because it’s so easy but it’s also great for serving to guests because it’s so aesthetically appealing and doesn’t require you spending loads of time in the kitchen. You can prep it before your guests arrive and pop it into the oven while you chat and visit. I served it alongside parmesan couscous, which is also super fast to prepare.
Here’s the recipe!Print
Caprese-style chicken breasts layered with fresh tomatoes and creamy fresh mozzarella and then topped off with pesto. Scatter broccoli florets around the chicken and you’ve got a delicious sheet pan meal! While this dinner is big on presentation and flavor, you’ll be surprised by how easy it is to prepare. It’s ready to go in the oven in under 10 minutes!
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 medium tomato, sliced and then cut slices in half (or two smaller tomatoes and skip halving them a second time)
8–10 slices of Galbani fresh mozzarella
¼ cup pesto
2–3 broccoli crowns, cut into florets (about 6 cups of florets)
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Make crosswise cuts in the chicken breasts, slicing almost to the bottom but not all the way through.
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Alternately fill the cuts in the chicken breasts with tomato and mozzarella slices. Spread pesto on the top of the prepared chicken breasts.
- Transfer the chicken to the baking sheet.
- Toss broccoli florets with olive oil, salt and pepper and scatter around chicken.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the broccoli is tender.