I don’t know about you, but I definitely find that my beauty routine changes with the seasons. I recently received a question from a reader about my skin and body care specifically when it comes to exercise. Here’s what she wrote:
“Hello! I’m curious what kind of skin care you use for your body given that you often exercise multiple times a day or aren’t able to shower immediately after sweating. I am getting married in a month and now that I’m sweating more during my workouts (thanks to summer weather) I’m trying to achieve a balance between a possible back acne breakout and freaking my skin out. Thanks!”
Well, first off…I don’t exercise multiple times per day but I DO sweat multiple times per day. I often teach two hot yoga classes in addition to working out so that’s a lot of sweat in a day. For the most part, my face routine is pretty similar to what I recapped in this post except I’m not using the retinoid cream. It was just too much for my skin so I cut it out many months ago. Overall, I feel like my skin is in a really good place right now. Minus a few breakouts here and there around the time of my cycle, all is clear!
Here are some specific tips for skin care when you’re sweating a lot due to workouts or summer weather:
- Wash your face immediately after exercise. Try not to let all of that sweat and makeup residue sit on your skin for hours after you workout.
- I personally don’t do this but I have quite a few students and clients who remove their makeup prior to working out/practicing hot yoga so that they’re working with “clean sweat.”
- Use a washcloth when you wash your face at the end of the day. This one has been huge for me in helping to really cleanse the pores and slough off dead skin. I put my facewash on a wet washcloth and cleanse my face using gentle circular motions. No scrubbing! I find this helps so much! I have yet to invest in any type of cleansing brush like a Clarisonic. Let me know if anyone has experience and thinks they’re worth it.
- Use an at-home gentle enzyme peel once a week to help with removing dead skin cells. (Look below for my recommendation.)
- Lighten up your moisturizers. If you are really dry during the winter and need a heavy moisturizer, lighten it up in the summer if it’s feeling heavy or greasy on your skin.
- Wear a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.!!! I cannot stress this enough. I never leave the house without it! (Look below for my latest favorite tinted moisturizer.)
- Invest in a professional facial/peel every few months. I started doing these with Carolina Facial Plastics almost two years ago and have been hooked ever since. Just like your hair needs regular maintenance from a professional, so does your skin! And just think…your hair is dead and your skin is living. It’s WORTH the investment!
After peel…no filters! Convinced!?
Okay, enough close ups of my face! I have a few recent favorite beauty products to share with you. Some related to summer skin care and some just for fun.
I have been using Laura Mercier makeup for years. This is my second time purchasing the tinted moisturizer and first time going oil-free. I am so impressed by the coverage it provides while also giving me a dewy, fresh look. FYI, I got the Sand color.
A friend of mine gifted this to me a few months ago and I’ve been using it weekly to do a gentle at-home enzyme peel. My skin always looks radiant and renewed after using it.
I kind of consider myself a connoisseur of waterproof mascaras and this one delivers on both staying power AND length and volume with minimal clumping. Win, win!
Living Proof sent me a sampling of their products to try out this summer and while I’ve love them all, this Blowout Spray has stood out. It heat protects hair up to 450 degrees. It’s lightweight, easy to apply and makes my hair noticeably easier to style.
My hair needs a little, ah…a lot, of help in keeping flyaways at bay in the summer humidity. I love this hairspray! It has great staying power without giving me that helmet look.
Okay, that’s all I have for you today but I’d LOVE to hear from you!
What are your best tips for sweaty or summer skin care? What works (and doesn’t work) for you?
Any new products you’re loving this summer? I love getting tried and true suggestions from others. I’m especially looking for some new blush options!
This post contains some affiliate links. Thanks for reading and supporting the time and energy I put into this blog every day! 🙂