Our Monday was a mixture of good, weird and rough. The day started well and kind of took some twists and turns from there.
I’ll start with my ALDI haul, then fill you in on the rest of our day.
WHAT I BOUGHT AT ALDI
Produce and such…
- Organic spinach and arugula blend
- Medjool dates (this whole package was only $4.99)
- Organic bananas
- Mixed cherry tomatoes
- Baby bella mushrooms (I’m making spaghetti sauce later this week)
- Organic chicken breasts
- Atlantic salmon (I used to be strictly wild-caught seafood only but I’ve been relaxing around that lately)
- Goat cheese ($1.99 for this log!)
- Organic string cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Roasted pine nut hummus
- Oven roasted turkey breast
- Spinach and artichoke tzatziki (never tried this before, caught my eye for a grain bowl topper)
- Organic colby-jack cheese slices
- rozen sweet potato, broccoli and spinach and kale bites (Finn LOVES these. I’ve had many people tell me they are identical to the Dr. Praeger’s bites but much cheaper.)
- Frozen shrimp (Finn loves shrimp and it’s such an easy protein to have on hand to defrost and cook quickly)
- Frozen sea scallops (they are so, so good!)
Pantry and etc:
- Organic, fair-trade whole bean coffee (only $4.99 and tastes great)
- Freeze-dried mangos
- Duke’s mayonnaise (<– the BEST!)
- Pumpkin pie perfect bar (only like $1.87 at ALDI)
- Coconut oil
- Bread and butter pickles
Bread and crackers:
- Honey wheat bread (my first time trying, was hoping it’d be similar to the Nature’s Own that I usually buy…it is)
- Thin wheat crackers
- Mixed cracker assortment (these kind of party/entertaining/cheese crackers are so affordable at ALDI)
- Organic chicken broth (should have stuck this in last photo)
And that does it!
OUR MONDAY AFTERNOON
I picked Finn up from preschool around 1p and had him home and down for a nap by 1:30. He still really needs to go down around 11:30-noon, and does most days that he’s not in school, but we make it work on preschool days. Unfortunately, he only slept for an hour and was up by 2:30. He doesn’t sleep as well when he’s overtired. I usually get a better nap out of him (1.5-3 hours) on non-preschool days. I hope as he gets a little older, this schedule will get easier because he really loves his toddler class.
Once he was up, I gave him a snack and then we took a wagon ride around the block. I needed to drop my rent check off with my landlord and he lives just right down the street.
While we were walking, I came across a little boy who asked for help getting to his school. Long story short, he had missed his bus and was trying to walk home but got lost. He also didn’t speak great English (he actually spoke French and was from ROC) and didn’t have a family phone number memorized. There was no way I was going to leave him wandering around so with lots of gestures and pointing, I got him to my house, in my car, to his school and finally home. (He was able to point me home once he knew where he was at school.) Ugh, my heart hurt for this little guy. His older brother was waiting at the bus stop when I got him home. I’m sure they were worried when he was late.
Back at home, we hung out, played and made dinner. Virginia dropped Stella off for doggy daycare yesterday so we enjoyed having her with us.
Finn had an early dinner and then we took a family walk before doing bed and bath time. Finn went down relatively easily around 7:20p and I followed shortly after around 9p. Well, just as I was getting sleepy while reading…Finn started wailing. It wasn’t letting up so I went into his room to check on him. He had his fingers in his mouth and was just inconsolable.
It ended up being a VERY long night of teething pain and trouble. Finn has been teething molars for what seems like a month now and they’ve caused everything from a runny nose to excessive drool to an ongoing upset stomach that resulted in his first ever diaper rash. Poor little dude. It was the hardest night we’ve had since he was a newborn. I ended up giving him Tylenol around midnight. I only slept from about 2a-5:50a. I was really hoping I could get him back down but he just wasn’t having it.
Praying tonight is a better night. I hate to do medicine but I think I’ll try Motrin before bed tonight.
Hoping the rest of this week is less eventful, and that Finn feels better soon.
Bought anything interesting at ALDI lately?
I’ll take all your teething wisdom!