The whole house is clean and more organized than it’s been in months. I mopped, organized closets, did laundry, changed sheets, cleaned out drawers…the works. I even did some yard work and trimmed the front hedges. Unfortunately, it was miserable and I got at least 20 mosquito bites in the process. They are attracted to me like magnets. The dog is even clean.
This resulted in an extreme moment of weakness on my part and I ended up letting her sleep in the bed for maybe the third time ever. She’s just so soft and cuddly right now!
When I wasn’t racing, yoga-ing or cleaning, I was eating delicious food.
Friday night pre-race fuel was a hamburger. I have been craving one for weeks and finally got my fix at a work happy hour. One of my co-workers suggested splitting a burger. It had roasted red peppers, guacamole and goat cheese. Tots on the side. Mmm…tots! 😉
Saturday brunch/lunch was a frittata. I had just been to the farmers market and wanted to use my veggies in an egg scramble but I’m really sick of egg scrambles so I went the frittata rough, which is essentially a prettier version of a scramble. Oh well. Kale, cherry tomatoes, squash, basil, three eggs and goat gouda.
My grandmother mentioned having shrimp and grits for dinner a few nights ago and I haven’t been able to get them off of my mind since. For dinner on Saturday night I cooked up a batch of stone ground yellow grits and then made my shrimp topping with onions, garlic, basil, tomatoes and okra. It was so good! I love, love, love grits and don’t eat them often enough anymore. They used to be quite a staple food for me…especially with some cheese mixed in!
Blueberry banana pancakes this morning for breakfast. They were easy and tasty. I rarely eat pancakes but these were great and didn’t give me “pancake belly.” You know, that feeling you get when they go down so easily but then expand in your stomach and make you feel gross for hours after?
Blueberry Banana Pancakes
(Recipe adapted from My Baking Addiction)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk (any – I used almond)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of pumpkin pie spice, if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, spices and salt. In a different bowl, whisk together egg, milk, oil, vanilla and mashed bananas. Mix wet and dry ingredients together until combined. Batter will still be kind of lumpy. Gently stir in blueberries.
- Heat an oiled griddle or sauté pan over medium heat. Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, pour batter onto cooking surface and cook 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and set in the center.
It’s hard to say what my favorite thing was that I ate this weekend but I think I’m gonna have to go with the burger and tots. What was the best thing you ate this weekend? Hope it was a good one!
*Don’t forget to enter the Erin McDermott Jewelry giveaway! Contest closes Monday at midnight. Remember, we’ll have two winners!