I’m so excited to share my recipe for red coconut curry with you! It’s been one of my favorite easy at home Thai-inspired dinners for many, many years. When I did my first Whole30 last year, I was so pleasantly surprised to find that my favorite red and green curry pastes were Whole30-compliant. If you’ve never tried coconut curry or haven’t made it at home, it’s time to dive in and do it!
One of the things I love most about Thai curries is how versatile they are. You can literally throw whatever you like into the pan when it comes to protein and veggies. My favorite proteins are chicken, shrimp or tofu and when it comes to veggies…anything goes!
On this occasion I used a big pre-chopped Asian stir-fry mix from Trader Joe’s. It included broccoli, carrots, peppers, snow peas, onions, bamboo shoots, bok choy, baby corn, mushrooms, carrots and water chestnuts. I’m not usually one to buy prepared chopped veggies but at $3.99 for one pound of mixed veggies, I thought it was totally worth it for the variety it provided. I’ve also used a frozen Asian veggie mix. This recipe is so forgiving.
I also like to add an eggplant. I think it adds so much to the dish. I find that eggplant really soaks up the curry and provides a nice heartiness to the curry. So if you like eggplant, dice one up and add it!
This is one of those dinners where you definitely want to make enough to have leftovers. It heats over extremely well and tastes even better the next day.
I served my red coconut curry over broccoli rice to make it Whole30-friendly but if given the choice, I’d normally go with jasmine rice. It’s delicious either way. You could even skip the rice or rice alternate and eat it like a soup/stew.
I’d love to hear your feedback if you try this recipe out!
Red Coconut Curry with Chicken and Veggies (Whole30 and Paleo)
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 4 servings||Total:|
A recipe for Thai Red Coconut Curry with Chicken and Veggies that is Whole30-compliant and Paleo-friendly.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 lb mixed veggies, diced/chopped (Asian-style recommended)
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb protein of choice, diced (chicken, shrimp, tofu, etc...tofu not Whole30 or Paleo)
- 2-3 tablespoons (to taste...I go more towards 3 because I like my curry with a kick) Thai red curry paste (I prefer the Thai Kitchen brand)
- 1 can (14 ounces) full-fat coconut milk (for Whole30 make sure there are no sulfates)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or veggie broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or coconut aminos for Whole30 (or more, add seasoning to taste)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Melt coconut oil over medium-high heat in a large saute pan.
- Add veggies and eggplant and cook for 5-7 minutes or until they start to cook down.
- Add ginger, garlic and protein and cook for another 2-3 minutes (note...if you are using shrimp, I would wait and add it to the curry mixture 3-4 minutes before serving so that it's not overcooked).
- Add curry paste and stir to coat chicken and veggies. 1-2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, broth and soy or aminos. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove cover and add lime juice and season to taste with additional soy or coconut aminos.
- Serve over rice or rice alternative.