It’s July 1 and it’s safe to say that we are in the thick of summer running. Here in the south, temperatures have been around 90 degrees every day but the real killer is the humidity. All three of my runs this week have been 80+ degrees and 80% humidity. Talk about sweaty!
I literally look like I’ve jumped in a pool after I run. While I can’t say that summer is my favorite running season (give me all the crisp, cool, low-humidity fall and spring running), I do like the challenge of summer running and the feeling of being so sweaty and completely wrung out at the end of my run.
One of the keys to successful summer running is having the right gear so that you are as comfortable as possible. I wanted to share some of my summer running essentials in this post. While I can’t change the conditions, I can properly hydrate, dress and recover so that I feel my best!
SUMMER RUNNING ESSENTIALS: APPAREL
It’s no secret that I’m a lululemon lover so my apparel picks are exclusively from lululemon. I know that it can be a budget stretch but the quality and comfort is unmatched. I am still running in lululemon shorts, tanks and sports bras that I’ve had for well over five years now. When I run in lululemon, I never have to worry about my clothes irritating me or breaking my focus. Here are some of my lululemon summer running essentials.
- Swiftly Tech Racerback 2.0 Race Length – I’ve always been a fan of lululemon’s Swiftly tanks but I am REALLY loving the new shorter race length style. The tank hits right at the top of the waistband of my shorts so I never have to worry about the it riding up or bunching up. Comfy, cute and available in lots of fun colors!
- Sculpt Tank Top – this tank is an excellent choice if you want a style that doesn’t hug your body and is more breezy. This tank has mesh panels and a cutout in the back to help keep you cool.
- Fast and Free Hat – there is nothing like a white hat to keep you cool during the summer. I have been wearing lululemon’s Fast and Free hat this summer for both runs and out at the beach and pool. It’s super lightweight and sweat-wicking. It keeps the sun out of my eyes and off of my face. I also like to wear hats for summer running because they help catch the sweat that is pouring down my face, especially when I’m wearing AirPods. The Fast and Free hat is available in a traditional style and this pony cut-out style that I’ve linked to.
- Free to Be Wild Bra – this is my all-time favorite bra from lululemon. It’s great for smaller cup sizes. I love how open the back is. It makes it comfortable and cool although you do get some rocking tan lines from this bra! Note, I usually size up to a 6 in this bra.
- Tracker Short – Tracker shorts are a great choice if you’re looking for a mid-length, loose fitting short. The waistband is flat and never digs in and the built-in liner is comfortable as well.
- Energy Long Line Bra – I really like long-line sports bras and the Energy is one of my faves from lululemon. This bra offers medium support for B-D cups.
- Hottie Hot Shorts – these are my very favorite running shorts from lululemon and they’re available in both a 2.5 and a 4 inch inseam. These shorts are available in so many different colors and patterns!
- Align Tank – while this tank was designed for yoga, it’s a great running tank if you have a smaller chest and are looking for something with a built-in bra.
- Wunder Train High-Rise Short – if a fitted biker short style is more your thing, definitely check out the Wunder Train High-Rise Short. It’s available in 4, 6 and 8 inch inseams and these shorts stay put!
SUMMER RUNNING ESSENTIALS: HYDRATION
When you’re heavily sweating, sometimes water just isn’t enough to help you stay hydrated. In these instances, I use Liquid I.V. I’ve been a fan of this product for a couple of years now and it’s become my go-to electrolyte supplement for running and hot yoga. One Liquid I.V. can provide the same hydration as drinking 2-3 bottles of water and it contains three times the electrolytes found in traditional sports drinks as well as five essential vitamins.
What I love most about Liquid I.V. is that the ingredients are clean and there’s no artificial sweetener. I will say that it’s super potent when you use the ratio of Liquid I.V. to water that they call for. I usually double the amount of water that I use. I like to make it in my big 32-ounce Takeya water bottle with lots of ice.
FYI: Liquid I.V. is having a July 4th sale and offering 30% off with code FIREWORKS30.
SUMMER RUNNING ESSENTIALS: SUNGLASSES
I got hooked on Goodr sunglasses two summers ago and they are THE BEST! Goodr sunglasses are lightweight, they don’t slip or bounce and they’re polarized. They come in a few different styles and lots of fun color combos. I wear these to the pool and beach all the time. Goodr sunglasses are also great for long road trips. They never hurt my head to wear them for extended periods of time.
SUMMER RUNNING ESSENTIALS: SHOES
Lastly, let’s talk shoes! Having the right running shoes is so important when it comes to your comfort and preventing injuries. This summer I have been running in the new Newton Fate 7 and the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 21. The Fate is a great choice if you’re looking for a lightweight, neutral running shoe. The Adrenaline is perfect selection for those wanting a little more stability and cushioning.
And that wraps up this collection of my summer running essentials! I hope it’s helpful for you guys. I know I always prefer a personal recommendation when trying to make decisions on so many things – including running and workout gear! Let me know in the comments if you have any questions or if you have anything to add to this list!
How do you feel about summer running?
What are your favorite running shorts? Favorite sports bra?
What shoes are you running in right now?
Do you change your hydration strategy at all during the summer?
This post contains affiliate links.