I awoke to pouring down rain, thunderstorms and a really loud alert on my phone that we were under a tornado warning. It’s looking like nothing but the same weather for the rest of my day. Always good for my productivity!
Did you know that Thursday is typically the slowest day of the work week in the fitness industry? I wish I could show you a snap shot of the gym on Tuesdays at 6 a.m. versus Thursdays at 6 a.m. It seems that people start the week motivated and ready to go but fall off the wagon by Thursday. They usually rally for Friday to get a workout in before the weekend. Slow Thursdays are especially true for evenings during the spring and summer because people get roped into happy hours, baseball games, Alive After Five type events and more. I taught BodyPump on Thursdays at 6 p.m. for four years. There was always a sharp attendance drop when these events kicked off for the season.
Why am I sharing all of this with you? Because I have an awesome workout for you today that is SHORT, INTENSE and EFFICIENT. It gets the job done in under 20 minutes so you can get in and out of the gym and on with fun Thursday activities.
This is a cardio heavy leg workout that will send your heart rate through the roof and make you wonder if your legs might fall off. Don’t worry, they won’t. I’ve done this workout myself and with several clients. It will burn but it’s all good! Just focus on how good all the squatting, lunges and stairs are for your butt! This workout is modified from a WOD that we did at Metro CrossFit last week.
This is a chipper style workout, meaning you’ll complete all of one interval/exercise before moving on to the next. I am not going to do a picture breakdown for this workout because the movements are basic.
Here are some of my notes on the workout:
– If you do not have access to a rower, you can run instead.
– The walking lunges are unweighted. 50 steps total.
– The air squats are unweighted. Bodyweight only.
– Modify the burpees as needed. Chest to ground would be the most advanced option.
– Choose the weight that works best for you on the wall balls. No wall ball? Just sub air squats or do a squat to overhead press with dumbbells. Don’t know what a wall ball is? Check out this video. (And don’t hate me forever for brining wall balls into your life! :))
– The stairs are 10 trips up and down one flight of stairs. No stairs available? Use a bench with low risers and mimic stair jogging for 100 reps.
The workout should take you somewhere between 15-23 minutes depending on pace and rest. As always, let me know if you have any questions and I’d love feedback if you try it.