≡ Menu

New and Exciting

And I’m back…I’m sorry that I didn’t post yesterday but once you hear about the day I had you will understand why it didn’t happen.

First things first – exciting news! I know I told you that I’ve been living the housewife life the last few days. Well, it’s because my last day at my job was last Thursday (June 24) and I had a few days off before I started a new job today. I can’t even begin to express how excited I am about this new opportunity and how fabulous my first day was. 😀

So let’s recap my last day as a housewife. It started out nice enough. Slept until 9, drank coffee, caught up on my Google Reader and ate oats.

In the mix: oats, almond milk, water, pinch salt, blueberries, chia seeds, cinnamon and a dollop of pear butter. Topped with almond butter and jam.

And then things went downhill. I planned on attending a late morning yoga class at Charlotte Yoga to try a new instructor’s class. I turned on the water for my shower…nothing. No water. I heard something at the front door and it was a technician posting notice that our water had been turned off. NOT COOL!  I decided to go to my yoga class anyway because I saw it as my only opportunity to shower for the day. The class was a nice change from the intense classes I did Monday and Tuesday but just not my style. It was a 90 minute class and I just didn’t feel like we got enough work in. By the time 75 minutes were done I was ready to go into savasana and wrap up my practice. I tried to have a positive attitude about the class and just get the best practice in that I could.

I proceeded to have an epic all-day battle with the water company to get our water turned back on. Not exactly the most relaxing way to end my time off. Eventually, everything was resolved and our water was finally turned back on around 7 p.m.

In the midst of all this drama my sweet husband took me to lunch at Cafe Monte.

I had the spinach florentine quiche, mixed greens and a glass of grenache (Hey, when do I ever have wine at lunch? Last day of housewife-ness!). The quiche was so good and cheesy. And Brandon’s fries in the background were very tasty! 😉

Much later Wednesday evening (8 p.m.-ish), it cooled off a ton and I decided to take Sullie out for a run/walk. We ran about 2.5 and walked another mile or so.

Dinner Wednesday was leftover tikka masala (I dont’ think we sat down to eat until 9:30 p.m.).

After dinner I had a ton to do to prepare for starting my new job. I was so grateful that our water was back on and I didn’t have to throw figuring out how to shower in the morning into the mix (showering at the YMCA on your first day at work = not a relaxing first day!).

It was a late night. I think we turned the light off at midnight – waaayyyy past my bedtime.

Regardless of the late night, I tossed and turned (nerves!?) all night and bounded out of bed at 6:20 when my alarm went off. Thankfully I prepared overnight oats for breakfast.

I shoveled (and I mean shoveled, I was running low on time) this bowl of overnight oats down. In the mix: vanilla Greek yogurt, almond milk, chia seeds, dried cranberries, blueberries. Topped with strawberries and good old fashioned Trader Joe’s Chunky Almond Butter.

My first day of work was great! Everyone was so welcoming and friendly. They took me out to lunch at Vivace. I had a salmon salad with greens, goat cheese, strawberries and a lemon vinaigrette. I opted not to break out my camera on the first lunch outing so you’ll have to use your imagination. The salad was awesome.

First days are just always draining. I decided to just come home and chill and take the day off of exercise. I’ve worked out twice a day for the last three days and I was just tired and sore.

I had a frosty Sierra Nevada IPA while I chatted with my grandmother and mom about my first day. During my conversations I noticed that Sullie was limping. I had a minor freak out and finally figured out that she had a spot on her pad that was rubbed raw.

Look at the poor thing with her sore paw. 🙁 I feel terrible for her.

We’ve just been hanging out on the patio and grilling tonight. Tomorrow is Friday and we get a three-day weekend! How nice is it to start my new job with a two day work week and a long weekend? Spoiled!

Do you have any fun Fourth of July plans? We’re heading to the mountains and the lows are around 50 degrees. Bring on the campfire!

{ 7 comments… add one }
  • shelby July 2, 2010, 12:11 am

    Good luck with your new gig! How exciting!

    I am super jealous of your camping trip and cool temps. It’s supposed to be back up in to the 90s in NYC this weekend and I the only fun thing I have planned is an early morning long run and some time sitting in front of my air conditioner…ugh.

    • Jen July 2, 2010, 1:22 pm

      Shelby – I’m going to try to fit in a long run before we leave for the mountains tomorrow. The low here tonight is 58! Yay for a not sweltering long run!

  • kat July 2, 2010, 9:29 am

    Assuming your mountain travel is to Asheville, I’ll look forward to seeing you soon up on the hill! Safe travels ~

    • Jen July 2, 2010, 1:20 pm

      Kat – can’t wait to see you this weekend! It’s been way too long!

  • Kira July 2, 2010, 12:49 pm

    We’re going up to Wisconsin to visit my MIL. I hope it won’t be terribly stressful and that we can get in some kayaking time on the lake!

    • Jen July 2, 2010, 1:20 pm

      Fun! I’ve never been to Wisconsin. I bet it will be nice and cool up there too. I hope you get your lake time in!

  • Josie July 2, 2010, 3:24 pm

    Congrats on the new job, Jen! Have a great weekend!

Leave a Comment

Next post:

Previous post: