The days feel heavy right now.
On a literal level, it’s hot, humid and I can’t go outside without getting a mosquito bite (the mosquito thing is mostly a joke but if they love you like they love me, you get it!).
On a mental level, it’s a lot to absorb everything going on in our world between the resurgence of COVID, what’s happening in Afghanistan and the recent earthquake in Haiti.
And energetically, it’s difficult to watch how people are interacting with each other online about basically everything. The internet has always been strange place in some corners and trolls have always existed but it feels like since the start of COVID, there’s been an escalation of divisiveness. Just when I think it’s reached its peak, it seems to get worse. To be honest, I don’t love social media (or the news) right now.
Here are a few ways that I’ve been coping and taking care of myself lately when I feel overwhelm and fatigue creeping in:
- Reading more fiction. I am just finishing up Malibu Rising and have really enjoyed it.
- Not putting pressure on myself to post on my blog or social media when I’m not feeling it. I’ve temporarily shifted my primary focus to teaching and upcoming yoga teacher trainings.
- Spending more time in my New York Times Crossword Puzzle app doing word games and crosswords than scrolling through Instagram.
- More rest and taking breaks from working out when I am low-energy.
- Cooking favorite summer recipes and trying new ones. Spending time in the kitchen being creative instead of behind a screen. Opening cookbooks and paging through magazines.
- Teaching more yoga and fitness classes. I’ve been subbing a ton lately in addition to my regular classes because it feels really good to have that in-person connection and know that I’m helping others to feel better.
- Lots of QT with Finn.
I wish I could add getting together with my friends to the list but I haven’t been the best about that these last few weeks. We have been checking in through texts and phone calls but I definitely need some face-to-face time very soon.
Here are just a few photos to share of life the past few days with my crew.
Days and days of afternoon rain and thunderstorms = my grass needs to be mowed like WHOA and letting Finn play in the rain. He was so funny this day…he insisted that he needed his rain boots or he would get “so wet.” As soon as he had them on he ran around in the rain like crazy and sat in a puddle. He dumped water out of his rain boots when he took them off, haha.
Walks with the puppies. They’ve been extra sweet lately.
Post-teaching three insanely sweaty classes. This is my signature yoga hairstyle. (I know, it’s not my best look but the best way to get my hair totally out of my face and off my neck!)
I love everything about this photo. I laughed out loud when I walked in my room to find Finn like this last night. The crossed leg, the Paw Patrol blanket, the two Mickeys…it’s perfect.
I didn’t sign on to write a downer post today but you know…life is peaks, valleys and a lot of mundane in-between. I am solidly okay right now. Not amazing but able to enjoy moments of ease and joy and feeling very grateful for my health, my family and friends, my work and my freedom.
And with that, I’m off to the studio to teach another class. I’ve got 10 on my schedule for the week.
How are you? What are some ways that you are taking care of yourself right now? <3