We celebrated Zoey’s 6th birthday this week and in the spirit of honoring and spoiling our furry family members, I wanted to share a recipe for Homemade Cheesy Dog Cookies. They’re simple to prepare and feature a short ingredient list that you can feel good about feeding to your dog. They’re the perfect treat for when you want to give your pup something special that’s not bad for them.
Before I get to the cookie recipe, allow me to take a short trip down memory lane.
I always love to look back on this photo from the very first night Zoey came home and met Sullie. They became fast friends.
She was the fluffiest little pup and so spirited. Zoey has a big personality and brings tons of energy with her wherever she goes.
We have made so many special memories together and I cannot believe that my baby girl is six years old.
Zoey is now the big sister and I must brag that she is a great one. Finn adores her and they get along so well. We are so lucky to have Zoey in our little family! HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET GIRL! <3
HOMEMADE CHEESY DOG COOKIES
I love baking something special for my pups on their birthdays. It’s usually this single-serving, three-ingredient dog friendly birthday cake but these cheesy cookies are a great treat too and I promise your dog will go crazy over them.
True story. The first time I baked these dog cookies, a certain someone whose name starts with a B ate the whole plate save 4-5 of them off of the counter while they were still warm. Take that as a warning that these cheesy dog cookies are irresistible and need to kept far out of what you think your dog can reach.
The star ingredient is sharp cheddar cheese and they smell so delicious and cheesy while they’re baking that you’re probably going to want to sample one when they come out of the oven. 😉
Here’s the recipe!Print
These homemade cheesy dog cookies are a treat that you can feel good about spoiling your pup with!
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled or quick oats, ground in a food processor or blender into oat meal/flour
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chicken or beef broth (I used bone broth, you can sub water here too)
4 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place dry ingredients (including cheese) in a large bowl and mix together. In a separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until combined. I used my hands to almost “knead” the dough once it came together. It’s a thick/stiff dough.
- Place dough between two sheets of wax or parchment paper and roll to about 1/4 inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter or the rim of a small glass or measuring cup to cut out dough. (I used the rim of a metal 1/4 cup measure.)
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Store in an airtight bag or container. You can place in the freezer if you’re not going to use them all within a couple of weeks.
Keywords: baking, dog cookies, dog treats, cheese