≡ Menu

Go Greek, Go Long

I generally prefer to do my long runs on Saturday mornings. I find that if I wait until Sunday, I dread it all weekend. I was so back and forth with my long run this weekend and decided to do it on Sunday because we were out late and on our feet all night Friday at the concert.

I set my alarm for 6:30 a.m. Saturday morning hoping to go to super flow at my yoga studio. My back up plan was to go to a later hot vinyasa class if I felt too tired (since we didn’t get in bed until well after midnight Friday) but for some reason I woke up bursting with energy. Usually, I feel like I could pass out on my mat halfway through super flow (it is the most intense class that is offered) but yesterday I was thinking “bring it” the whole class. I couldn’t even sit still on my mat, I just wanted to keep moving. After class I still felt like I could go out and run 10 miles so I immediately knew I should have done my long run Saturday morning. Ugh…

After class I came home, showered (I could wring sweat out of my clothes. Gross.) and whipped up this lovely bowl of Greek yogurt goodness.

Plain nonfat Greek yogurt drizzled with honey and topped with a sprinkle of raw oats, strawberries, blueberries and almond butter.

After breakfast I headed over to the Atherton Mill and Market to pick up some local meats, veggies and fruits.

I visited with several different local farmers and came home with a great selection: squash, zucchini, eggplant, cucumbers, tomatoes, okra, peppers, apples, purple beans, fresh edamame, basil, eggs and ground beef.

When I got home I decided to make a fritatta with eggs and veggies from my trip.

I sauteed eggplant, onions, tomatoes and spinach together in a cast iron skillet and then poured two eggs beaten with a little milk over the veggie mixture and sprinkled it with cheese, basil and kosher salt. I let it cook on the stovetop for a few minutes until the eggs were set and then put it under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to let the cheese melt a little more and the top completely set.

With cantaloupe on the side.

Sullie was in maximum cuteness mode yesterday. She begged for love while I was watching the Georgia game (we lost – so very sad).

And then went crazy when we brought a new toy home for her later in the afternoon.

I LOVE giving her new toys. Totally worth the $5 for the enjoyment she gets out of them (and the laughs I get watching her with them). 😀

We went to the Yiasou Greek Festival for dinner last night and shared a ton of food.

Pastisio (check out my recipe for it on Bakin’ and Eggs), dolmades, spanakopita and Greek salad.


Dessert was galaktoboureko (custard with phylo) and we also went crazy with a to-go box of pastries.

All of the food at the Greek Festival is made by church members and is so very delicious. One of the Charlotte food highlights of my year!

I decided not to set an alarm this morning and ended up sleeping for 10 hours – I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t feel bad about it because I know my body needed the sleep. I posted about this a few days ago but it’s been a weird week and my body has been off.

I ate a piece of toast with peanut butter and honey and hit the road for my long run. The original plan was to run 18 but I just knew that wasn’t going to happen today. I ran three with Sullie and then headed back out by myself for another six. I swung by the house at mile nine to take a gel, get some water and pick up Brandon.

Brandon ran three with me (and sweetly listened to me whine about all the hills in our neighborhood). I dropped him off and ran another mile – I was feeling really OCD about at least making my long run a half marathon. And then I was done.

Honestly, I probably could have survived another five to make it to 18 but my hamstrings were cramping terribly and I was hot. I’m also really scared of injury given my history with various injuries and my body had just had it. It was the hardest long run I’ve done so far. I’m hoping to get back in my normal routine this week and be ready to tackle 18 next Saturday.

I stretched, showered and made this lunch.

An amazing salad full of fresh fruits and veggies.

We’re watching the Panthers game and I’m about to bake a Hummingbird Cake to take to my brother in law’s for a cookout – looking forward to seeing my cute nieces tonight!

I also need to ice a very sore spot on my left upper hamstring. 🙁

{ 5 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment

Next post:

Previous post: