We had pancakes for breakfast on a Thursday morning and it was kind of the best thing ever. I made these dairy-free blueberry buttermilk pancakes last Sunday morning and knew I had to recreate them again this week to photograph and share with you because they were so amazing. We “mmm’d” our way through them again today and I hope you do soon too!
We have a lazy Sunday morning tradition going where we sleep in and then make brunch at home. Brunch usually varies between scrambled eggs or omelets and toast (or avocado and scrambled egg toast) with bacon and fruit or sweet potato breakfast bowls with eggs and fruit but last Sunday Tanner woke up requesting pancakes instead. The fresh blueberries that I had picked up at the farmers market on Saturday immediately came to mind but then I remembered that most pancake recipes call for buttermilk and we didn’t have any sort of milk on hand.
He was so set on pancakes that he offered to run to the store but I knew I could figure out a substitution (and I have also cut back on dairy for skin reasons).
After browsing the fridge and pantry, I pulled out a can of coconut milk and some apple cider vinegar and decided to make my own dairy-free “buttermilk.”
I placed one tablespoon of apple cinder vinegar in a one-cup measuring cup and then filled it to the top with lite coconut milk. I let it sit for about 5 minutes and then went on making pancakes the way I usually do.
I LOVE my pancake recipe and haven’s shared it since the early days of blogging (like circa-2010!) so it was time for an update with these dairy-free modifications.
These pancakes are great on their own but I’m always partial to blueberry.
They cook up so golden brown and fluffy in the pan. My secret is to make smaller pancakes (easier to flip) and not to use anything in the skillet (no butter or cooking spray). I just use a good ceramic non-stick pan.
I heat the oven to 200 and put the pancakes on a plate in the oven as they come out of the pan. This way they stay warm and we can both eat at the same time. These pancakes are light and fluffy and bursting with fresh blueberries.
I wish I could have you over for brunch this Sunday and serve you a big stack of these dairy-free blueberry buttermilk pancakes with a cup of coffee but you’ll just have to make them for yourself!
Dairy-Free Blueberry Buttermilk PancakesPrint
These Dairy-Free Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes are bursting with fresh blueberries and taste just like the real thing.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (minus one tablespoon) lite coconut milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (if using frozen, keep them frozen when adding to batter)
- Preheat oven to 200 if you’re going to be holding the pancakes and keeping them warm.
- Place one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a one-cup measuring cup, fill the rest of the way up with lite coconut milk. Set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredient bowl and mix until just combined. Do not overmix! Gently fold in blueberries.
- Preheat griddle or nonstick pan over medium heat (you don’t want to cook them too hot or they won’t cook evenly…I keep my setting to about a 4 or 5). Spoon 1/2 cup of batter onto griddle or into pan and let cook 2-3 minutes. When batter starts to bubble and they pop, it’s time to flip. Use a wide, flat spatula to gently flip and cook another 1-2 minutes on the other side.
- Place on a plate in the oven if you’re holding or serve with toppings of your choice.
This recipe can easily be doubled.