Good evening. I’m apologize for being a bit whiney last night but sometimes a girl just needs to be whiney. I’m sure that most of you can relate. It’s like my favorite Pin of the week…
I think I was on my broomstick yesterday and not using my angel wings. 😉
So, while I was teaching BodyPump tonight I was thinking about what I might want for dinner (these are the kinds of things that run through my head when I’m teaching). I thought that Chinese or Thai takeout sounded really good but then I convinced myself to use the food I had in my kitchen and cook at home. I’m trying to cut back on picking up lunch and dinner out here and there so that I can save some money for furniture.
I took my Asian takeout inspiration and what I had on hand and came up with the idea for a chicken and bok choy stir fry over spaghetti squash.
Let’s discuss step one, preparing the spaghetti squash. I am petrified of cutting into winter squash for fear that I will lose an appendage so I tried to microwave the squash whole. Many sources recommended piercing it and placing it in the microwave whole. Don’t believe them. About 4 minutes into cooking I heard a huge boom and instantly knew my spaghetti squash had exploded. I opened the microwave and discovered I was right. Luckily, all was not lost and I was able to cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and continue cooking it cut side down with a little bit of water until it was done. Lesson learned.
While the spaghetti squash was cooking I prepped and started cooking the other ingredients. I used a recipe from Martha Stewart as my base and put my own twist on it. Which I’m famous for doing with everything from recipes to workouts. You gotta make it your own.
The finished product turned out exactly as I had hoped so I’m excited to share the recipe with you! I loved using the spaghetti squash as a base instead of noodles or rice. The dish was still very satisfying while lower in carbs but still high in protein.
Chicken and Bok Choy Stir Fry with Spaghetti Squash
(Recipe adapted from Maratha Stewart)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (I would have used fresh ginger if I had it…love!)
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce (optional if you want the heat)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into strips
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and minced
- 3 cups halved baby bok choy (about 5 heads, halved)
- 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- Cooked spaghetti squash, for serving
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, chili sauce and 3 tablespoons water. In another bowl, toss chicken with cornstarch until coated.
- Heat a large wok or skillet over medium high heat and heat oil until thin and shimmering. Add chicken and cook until it starts to brown but isn’t quite done, about 5 minutes. Add bok choy and garlic and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes. Add vegetable or chicken broth and cover skillet for about 2 more minutes to allow bok choy to wilt.Add soy sauce mixture and cook until sauce thickens slightly, 2 minutes. Serve over spaghetti squash.
Enjoy and don’t blow up your spaghetti squash! 🙂
One more thing…I think I’m going to do another video “you ask, I answer” tomorrow so let me know if you have topic requests/questions!