This post is sponsored by Virginia Carolinas Peanut Promotions. I received compensation, but all opinions and content are my own.
Welcome to the snack mix that you won’t be able to stop eating all holiday season long. I have developed a recipe for a Cheesy and Peanuty Savory Snack Mix that is packed with flavor and crazy delicious. This snack mix will be a hit served at any holiday get together or packaged as a gift for friends and family.
Let me introduce you to the key players…
The star of the show in this recipe is roasted, inshell salted peanuts. I could have taken a shortcut and used roasted, shelled peanuts but trust me when I tell you that it’s worth the added step of cracking into the peanuts. I find that inshell roasted peanuts have an extra depth of flavor that is unmatched. You can usually find inshell peanuts in the produce section of your local grocery store. The other crunchy ingredients in play are your choice of square cereal, pretzels and cheese crackers.
It should come as a surprise to no one that I chose peanuts as a base ingredient in this snack mix.
Here are some fun facts about the inshell peanuts the you see in this recipe:
- Virginia-type peanuts are one of the four main types of peanuts grown in the U.S. and 90% come from Virginia and the Carolinas. They are also the largest!
- If you see inshell peanuts in the grocery store or at a sporting event, they most likely were produced in the Virginia-Carolinas area.
- Over 2,000 peanut farmers within Virginia and the Carolinas grow this type of peanut.
- Peanuts are the most water-use efficient nut in the world. Legumes create their own nitrogen, which means less fertilizer is needed to grow peanuts.
I hope you enjoyed that peanut trivia. I certainly did! Let’s get back to the recipe.
The mix of shelled roasted peanuts, cheese crackers, pretzels and square cereal is simple. The flavor magic happens when you coat all of these things with a special mixture of melted butter, spices, seasonings and hot sauce. There’s everything from garlic powder to Worcestershire sauce to chili powder and more! But don’t worry, you’ll probably have most of these spices and seasonings already in your pantry.
After tossing all of the crunchy ingredients in the butter and seasoning blend, you bake the snack mix at a low temperature for an hour and stir it every 15 minutes. Your house will smell so good while this is baking!
The final result is a snack mix that is perfectly cheesy, peanuty, buttery and seasoned. This is a simple recipe but sometimes the right combination of simple ingredients can turn into something really special and that’s what happened with this savory snack mix. I honestly surprised myself with how good this is and I truly can’t stop eating it. My hand is in this snack mix again as I type this post!
And juuuuuust in case you aren’t quite yet sold on the stellar qualities of peanuts, here are just a few more.
- Peanuts are gluten free and cholesterol-free.
- A handful of peanuts is an excellent source of protein and fiber.
- Women who eat peanuts have a lower body BMI according to data.
- Peanuts also contain high levels of niacin and are a good source of vitamin E, two nutrients that support brain health and have been known to protect against Alzheimer’s disease and age-related cognitive decline.
- Research shows eating peanuts twice a week can reduce the risk of premature death by 12% and reduce the risk for certain cancers, including lung, pancreatic and gastric cancers.
It’s a fun variation to mix in some inshell roasted peanuts when serving to really highlight the peanuts and provide an interactive snacking experience for those that enjoy cracking into inshell peanuts!
Visit the Virginia Carolina Peanuts Promotion website for peanut recipes, fun facts and more. And now for the Cheesy & Peanuty Savory Snack Mix recipe. I can’t wait to hear what you guys think about this one!
CHEESY & PEANUTY SAVORY SNACK MIX RECIPEPrint
A delicious cheesy and peanuty savory snack mix using inshell roasted peanuts, cheese crackers, square cereal and the perfect blend of melted butter and seasonings. This snack mix will keep you coming back for more and is sure to be a hit at any gathering!
1 pound inshell roasted, salted peanuts
3 cups square corn cereal (rice, wheat, corn…whatever you prefer!)
3 cups square cheese crackers
3 cups small pretzel twists
6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dark chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
few dashed hot sauce (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Prepare a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Shell 2/3 of the bag of inshell peanuts. Reserve remainder of bag to stir into snack mix before serving.
- In a large bowl, mix together the shelled peanuts, square cereal, cheese crackers and pretzels.
- Melt butter in a medium sized bowl. Add seasonings, spices and hot sauce and stir to combine.
- Pour butter mixture over dry ingredients and toss well.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove snack mix from oven and turn out onto a sheet of parchment to cool completely.
- Add the remainder of the inshell peanuts into the snack mix.
- Store in an airtight container.
This recipe is super versatile! You can get creative with the cereal and cheese crackers and swap for different varieties.
CHEESY & PEANUTY SAVORY SNACK MIX PINNABLE
What appetizers do you traditionally put out at holiday gatherings?
Do you ever give food items as gifts?
Do you prefer savor, sweet or sweet and salty snack/party mix?