I’ve got a barbell and resistance band workout for you today that’s no joke. I put this workout together for myself yesterday at the gym and I am feeling it something serious today. The workout includes a lot of squatting, glute activation and deadlifts. Most of what I did here wouldn’t typically make me this sore but I think I’m paying for lack of lifting consistency over the last couple of weeks. Crazy how fast what your body is “used to” can change.
Here’s the workout if anyone wants to give it a go and hobble around with me! 🙂
Barbell and Resistance Band Workout
Exercise demos or explanations:
– Resistance band two step – the video has band around ankles but I want you to position the band above the knees for this one
– Barbell back squat – this is just a back squat while wearing the band. Be mindful to push out of the band as you’re squatting and try to take your squat just a bit deeper than you usually do- Ring rows or TRX rows
– Jump squats – just your normal jump squat while wearing a resistance band in set one and no band in set two
– Tricep dips – your choice of dip that challenges you. You can go on the rings, on a machine or just do dips off a bench or box
– Push ups – perfect form, knees or toes
– Overhand grip pull ups – use a band or machine for assistance if needed
– Barbell Romanian deadlifts
– Supine toes to bar – hold on to something behind you (couch, pull up rig, etc) and with legs together and as straight as possible, lower the heels down to the floor and then lift the toes back up to touch the bar. Bend the knees a little if you need to. Try to keep low back down towards the floor. There is a demo at the end of this video.
For reference, I used a 75# barbell for my back squats and that’s typically a pretty safe working weight for me but I am SORE! I think it was the combo of less lifting lately along with wearing a resistance band for the first set of work. So if you try this one out, maybe lighten up your weight a bit. There’s a lot of volume here.
This afternoon I need to get run #2 of 3 done for the week. I’ve been running on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I’m kind of glad I have to run on tired legs tonight for the training piece of it and I also hope it helps to flush out my legs a bit. I have to sub a Total Strength class at the Y tonight (which I never do on Thursdays but am for the next few weeks to help out). I predict I’ll be doing a lot of form demo, coaching and correcting in class tonight versus doing the whole workout with them.
Friday will be a rest day with some easy walking and yoga. I am running a half marathon on Saturday so I want my legs to be feeling fresh and happy by then. I’m getting so excited about the race. The weather is going to be incredible and I love making races my long run! 🙂
Let me know if you have any questions about this Barbell and Resistance Band workout and I’d love your feedback if you try it out.
Do you feel like you get more sore if you take it easy for a few weeks with your training?
How many days a week do you run?
Favorite barbell exercise?