Let’s talk about one of my favorite things to do – grocery shopping! My love for food shopping goes back to tagging along with my dad on his weekly grocery trips. I can close my eyes and picture the small Kroger in my hometown and how I would stand on the back of the cart riding along. He taught me how to choose produce, the value of developing a relationship with the “meat man” and the importance of ALWAYS checking expiration dates.
What I have for you today is a look at what I bought at Publix, ALDI and Trader Joe’s over the last few weeks. Having a stocked fridge and pantry makes me so happy. I like to know that I can always whip up something good!
WHAT I BOUGHT AT PUBLIX
I wanted to show what I bought at Publix while I was in Florida for my grandmother’s birthday. This fed me for breakfast and lunch every day. I had a yogurt or açaí bowl for breakfast and a salad for lunch.
- Spring mix/spinach mix
- Hard boiled eggs
- Crunchy chickpeas
- Humm kombucha
- Ready-to-eat beets
- Sambazon açaí bowl
- Blue Harbor canned salmon
- Seeds of Change Seven Grains
- FAGE yogurt cups
Here are a few things I picked up at Publix back at home. I am partnering with them on Instagram to promote their Live Well Extra Savings going on from now through May 5. There are some great savings to be had to make sure to stock up during the event!
WHAT I BOUGHT AT ALDI
- Frozen fruit
- ALL the cheese – shredded mozzarella, shredded gouda, fresh mozzarella, sliced cheddar, sliced colby jack, feta, queso fresco and gouda cracker cuts
- Cottage cheese
- Salted butter
- Coho salmon
- Chicken breasts
- Broccoli bites (for Finn)
- Mediterranean style flatbread pizza
- Nature’s Own honey wheat bread
- Mini bagels
- Romaine lettuce
- Whole milk greek yogurt
- Cherry tomatoes
- Almond milk
- Baby carrots (for dog treats)
- Cheez-Its – we are so obsessed in this house
- Rolled oats
- Chopped green chiles
- Diced tomatoes with chiles
- Olive oil
- Avocado oil
- Pita chips
- Mac and cheese
- Plantain chips
- 90 second seven grains
WHAT I BOUGHT AT TRADER JOES
Best frozen aisle ever!
- Asian style vegetables with stir fry sauce
- Chopped spinach
- Mushroom medley (one of my all-time faves)
- Frozen fruit
- Thai green curry (first time trying – will report back)
- Riced cauliflower stir fry
- Butter chicken
- Multigrain blend with vegetables
- Gluten-free chicken nuggets
- Limone Alfredo sauce – totally an impulse buy but I’m going to do it with shrimp, pasta and something green
- Breakfast blend coffee
- Naan – never got to eat this because the dogs did first…stole it off the counter and ripped into the packaging. Haha.
- Lightly smoked canned salmon
- Greek chickpeas with parsley and cumin
- Peanut butter
- Almond butter
- Hand and body cream – LOVE this stuff
- Thai style curry sauce
- Goddess dressing
- Salted butter – we go through a whole lot of butter in this house
- Ground chicken
- Buttermilk ranch – GOOD NEWS! Trader Joe’s finally has good ranch! This is a new dressing in the refrigerated section and it’s so much better than their bottled ranch.
- Almond milk
All the produce because I’m going to be doing some juicing this week with a new juicer that I just got!
- Ready veggie blend – I’ve bought this several times now and it’s a great blend and quick and easy to sauté
- Tuscan kale
- Chicken Italian sausage (meant to put this in another photo collection but oh well)
And that is a wrap on that.
I spend a lot on groceries every month – especially with how food prices have been lately. Sometimes it’s hard to justify but at the end of the day I am okay with it because I cook and eat almost every single meal at home. We don’t eat out or do takeout very often, and I think that’s in-line with how my family did things growing up so it’s what I know and what I enjoy doing. 🙂
Do you enjoy grocery shopping?
Do you do most of your shopping in-store or do you order pick-up or delivery?
Are there any snacks that you always have to have stocked?
I agree with you about food prices – it’s expensive but the way I think about it is buying healthy food helps to keep me healthy. I’m happy to spend more on food (and less on other things) because my health is a top priority for me ♡
I would love to hear more about your juicer! I’ve been thinking about getting one.
I’ll write a post about it!
When it is just you and your son, how do you keep food from going bad and having to throw it out? I’m thinking more about the perishable items, of course. This is something that I struggle with for my husband and I. Some things can be frozen, but a lot can’t.
I REALLY try to only buy what I know we’ll eat that week when it comes to fruits/veggies/proteins. And then I try to only open one thing at a time (like with cheeses) and use it all up before I open another package.
The frozen fruit from Aldi is awesome. Good pricing on it! You should try Aldi Steelhead Trout that is packaged like the Coho Salmon. I think it is tastier and I like the fact that it freezes well in the packaging.
Also interested in hearing about your juicing adventures.
Oh, I will try the Steelhead trout. Thanks for the head’s up! And I’ll share about the new juicer and juicing! 🙂
I love browsing the grocery store for cooking inspiration but it’s fairly impossible with kids. We order grocery pick up for most of our food and it’s turned out to be good for the budget because we impulse buy a lot less and only buy what’s on our list for the week.
How do you use the mushroom medley from TJs? Is it frozen? I’m interested!
Yes, it’s a frozen mushroom mix and so good! I use it in pasta and gnocchi dishes a lot!
I always like seeing what you get at the grocery store and all your food creations! I am genuinely curious, how do you decide which items to buy organic and which ones are ok to get conventional? I struggle to buy everything organic because I feel like I’m “supposed” to. It is refreshing to see someone in the healthy influencer space who isn’t advocating for that!