It is a newsflash to no one that I have been in a cooking rut recently. It’s been reassuring to know that I am not alone and that so many others are majorly lacking in cooking mojo right now.
There was a night a few weeks ago where I was not only absent of inspiration and the motivation to cook but also any idea of what I was in the mood to eat. I turned to Instagram and asked in a question box on my story, “what do you eat on nights when nothing sounds good + you don’t feel like cooking.”
The answers were spectacular and left me craving everything from popcorn to nachos to cheese/snack plates. I thought that it would be helpful if I shared the list here because there are over 50 ideas for easy things to eat when you are ambivalent about food/cooking. I bet you can’t read through this list without striking a craving for something!
(One can never go wrong with frozen pizza, ice cream and wine.)
WHAT TO EAT FOR DINNER WHEN YOU LACK INSPIRATION OR DON’T FEEL LIKE EATING
- Homemade queso + chips.
- Popcorn. (Very popular answer and inspired me to buy popcorn kernels at the grocery the next time I went.)
- Eggs on or with toast.
- Omelet – very accommodating to whatever you might have in the fridge!
- Grilled cheese and soup. Add bacon to up the delicious factor.
- Cereal. (recommended…several bowls!)
- One skillet meals like rice, chicken and veggies.
- Pesto pasta.
- Snack plate. Example: cheese, smashed avocado, hummus, crackers. (And don’t forget the wine.)
- Empty the fridge salad.
- Green smoothie.
- Ice cream and go to bed.
- Tuna melt.
- Annie’s Mac…straight up or if you’re feeling ambitious add peas and tuna.
- Avocado toast. (Might I recommend the most addictive avocado toast ever?)
- Breakfast for dinner.
- Frozen Indian food from Trader Joe’s. (Solid. Especially served over rice.)
- Trader Joe’s Chicken Fried Rice with almond butter drizzled on top. (Interesting and not averse to trying this!)
- Noodles with olive oil, salt and pepper. (Can swap butter for olive oil here, and maybe add cheese.)
- Homemade Egg McMuffin or any kind of egg sandwich creation.
- Nachos. (Going on my menu plan as fast ASA-freaking-P!)
- Rice bowls with ground beef. Top with avocado and whatever random toppings that you can find in your fridge.
- Scrambled eggs in a tortilla. (Maybe turn this into a breakfast burrito or scrambled egg and black bean quesadilla.)
- ALL HAIL FROZEN PIZZA! If you’re really feeling fancy…add a side salad. Bonus points if you dip the pizza in ranch.
- Frozen vegetable fried rice from Trader Joe’s with soy sauce and over easy eggs. (Trader Joe’s coming in strong here with the frozen convenience foods!)
- A veggie burger patty. Optional to add some an egg. Serve with fruit.
- Crusty bread and good cheese. Have some crudités on the side to help you feel like you’re eating some veggies.
- Eggs poached in green chili. (Gonna need more details about this one please!)
- Freezer black bean burger on English muffin with avocado and chipotle mayo.
- Frozen chicken nuggets.
- Panini sandwich creation.
- Chips, cheese, bell peppers + hummus and wine.
- Yogurt + fruit parfait.
- Next level scrambled eggs: scrambled eggs with cheese, greens and crispy chickpeas and topped with balsamic drizzle.
- Thaw homemade soup.
- Hummus and pita.
- Apples with peanut butter and chocolate chips.
- Alexia brand tater tos.
- Grits bowl with toppings.
- Melted cheese on toast with greens or sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers on top.
- Canned soup.
- Chips and salsa.
- Chicken fingers tossed in buffalo sauce on a salad with lots of ranch. (Mmmhmmm)
- Pimento cheese sandwiches.
- Grain bowls. (FOR LIFE!)
- Frozen veggies thrown in a pan with fried eggs.
- Frozen veggie noodles + whatever sauce or toppings you might have on hand.
I’ll leave you with this: never underestimate the yum- and comfort-factor of a grain bowl with a runny egg. Also, never forget that takeout or delivery is an excellent option.
Your turn! What do you eat when you are lacking inspiration, don’t feel like cooking and/or don’t have much of an appetite?
What meal on this list speaks to you?