At 34 weeks we are getting so close and boy am I ever starting to feel it! Pregnancy has definitely “gotten real” in these last couple of weeks and I’m feeling pretty big and slow.
Before I get to this week’s update, here are some scenes from my baby shower last Sunday. This was a small shower with family and close friends. We have one more at the studio in a couple of weeks with more of our yoga community, staff and students. 🙂
Lots of blue and white hydrangeas along with onesies and stuffed animals for simple decor.
Cupcakes. Strawberry, red velvet, peanut butter and chocolate and vanilla.
The food was done by Tanner’s sister-in-law’s sister (did you get that?). She owns a catering business and I always love her food! We had bite-sized meatloaf, endive cups, veggies and dips and…
GRILLED CHEESE! How awesome that they incorporated one of my top pregnancy food cravings into the menu!? 🙂
My plate + a strawberry cupcake.
There was also a mimosa bar that I couldn’t personally partake in but I was glad that others could! Getting so close to the day where I can have a cocktail!
Gifts. I received so many amazing things from our registry including a high chair, a pack and play, an activity gym, breastfeeding supplies, a cradle/bassinet, tons of books, the cutest outfits and more. But gosh, the cards are what got me. My friends and family wrote the sweetest notes.
Speaking of family, I was so thrilled that my mom, aunt and cousin could be in Charlotte for the shower. It was so special to have them here.
I was so happy to celebrate with such loving and supportive friends. Remember these ladies from when we used to train together at 5:30 a.m.?
Sweet Virginia. <3
And many more…I won’t post photos of everyone in attendance because it probably doesn’t mean quite as much to you as it does to me. 😉
I felt very fortunate to have all the “moms” there (my mom, Tanner’s mom and his step-mother) as well as Tanner’s sister and sister-in-law.
The two beautiful hostesses, Dorie and Tanner’s sister-in-law, Mandy. Mandy and Bryan were so generous to open their home to all of us for the shower.
And finally…”ready to pop” prosecco favors. We snuck a few of these home and I can’t wait to pop one after he’s born!
It was a such a sweet day for me and this baby boy. I am lucky to have so many amazing and inspirational women in my life and I know that they will be such a wonderful source of knowledge and support once he is here.
34 WEEKS PREGNANCY UPDATE
Baby boy is the size of a butternut squash and this is a food comparison I can get on board with.
- At this stage baby can weigh anywhere between 4.2-5.8 pounds and measure 17.2-18.7 inches.
- Baby is doing a lot of listening to voices and sounds.
- We’ve reached a big milestone. Babies born between 34-37 weeks generally do fine in the outside world. My doctor told me at 34 weeks they will no longer try to prevent labor. This feels significant for me because 34 weeks was my doctor’s goal for me to get to after the scare I had back at 28 weeks. YAY!
- The white waxy coating protecting baby’s skin (the vernix) thickens this week.
HOW I’M FEELING AT 34 WEEKS PREGNANT
I’m feeling…very pregnant! Holy cow.
Body changes/weight gain: I haven’t stepped on the scale in a few days but we are definitely over the 20 pound mark. I also feel like my breasts are starting to grow again and are starting to get more tender again. No stretch marks (knock on wood) and just a faint line down my stomach.
- Dry hands and feet. Using lots of lotion and body oil these days.
- I’m definitely starting to waddle.
- Everything is making me more tired. I walked the dogs 3.5 miles yesterday and was absolutely wiped out when I got home last night. I took a hot bath and then vegged on the couch the rest of the night.
- Same pelvic pain I’ve been having upon rising from seated.
- My vision seems blurrier which is apparently common due to hormones and excess fluid.
- General discomfort, especially when going to sit down or stand up, rolling over in bed, bending over, etc.
- Low back/sacrum pain. I rolled over in bed a few nights ago and felt a bunch of stuff shift in my low back. It did not feel good and hasn’t felt great ever since. I’m going to see my chiropractor tomorrow.
- Heartburn on and off. I’ve heard this means he has a lot of hair. Haha.
Workouts/Workout Modifications: Since we last chatted I’ve walked most days anywhere from 2-3.5 miles, taught two strength classes and done a couple of hot yoga classes.
Sleep: I get up three times a night to go to the bathroom BUT sleep has been good the last week. I think that carrying this baby and extra weight around all day is making me super tired. I’m grateful to be sleeping somewhat well (minus the frequent pee get ups) again. I will take all of it I can get before he gets here.
Movement: he is moving like a crazy baby these days. Pretty much anytime I sit down and put my hand on my belly I can feel him doing something in there. He loves to do his exercise routines at 3-4 a.m. and sometimes it literally feels like he’s doing jumping jacks in there. I can feel his knees and feet a lot on my right side body and up near my ribs. He also gets the hiccups at least 2-3 times a day. Last night I was in the bath reading a book that was propped on my belly and the book was jumping because of his hiccups!
Food aversions/cravings: I’m pretty cool with food right now minus it just makes me feel super nauseous to eat a lot of it at one time. Even things like smoothie bowls just sit so high in my stomach that I feel sick after I eat them.
- I’ve had a bit more motivation to actually get dressed and not look like the above photo (which is my norm…haha) while I have this bump for a little while longer. I want to try to make some weekend plans and friend get togethers in this home stretch.
- Tanner and I have been leaning towards this one first name since December. I would say that he’s more attached to it than I am but I really like the name. But now I’m finding myself wanting to Google baby names and rethink it all! Is this normal? We also are still working through a middle name and obviously our last name situation is a bit complicated so there’s a lot of naming stuff to sort out. Not sure all that really falls under “fun share” but oh well.
- Lots of nursery progress has been made! We have a crib and crib mattress now and I’ve ordered crib sheets and bassinet sheets from Etsy. I also ordered the sweetest mobile for the crib. I’ve done a good bit of closet and dresser organization in the nursery and things are starting to come together.
Did you have one name and stick with it or did you also waffle back and forth/second guess?
What’s your best advice for the final weeks of the third trimester? Anything you wish you would have done or that you did and you’re grateful for?
Who did you have in the delivery room?