I’m 31 weeks pregnant today and I have so much to share with you. 62 days until D-day!
31 WEEKS PREGNANCY UPDATE
At 31 weeks, baby is anywhere from 15.2 to 16.7 inches long and somewhere between 2.5 and 3.8 pounds. We were at that 3 lb mark nearly three weeks ago so it’s safe to say baby G is somewhere at the higher end of this number. I don’t know about this asparagus comparison…seems small/light. What To Expect says a butternut squash, that seems a little more believable?
- He’s now processing information, tracking light and perceiving signals from all five senses.
- When not sleeping, he’s doing “practice drills” like breathing, swallowing, hiccuping and pedaling his feet.
- Baby can turn head side to side.
- Baby is peeing close to two cups of liquid which is going into my amniotic fluid. AHHH that is crazy! Luckily, my body replaces the fluid a few times a day.
- His testicles are moving through the groin on their way into the scrotum.
HOW I’M FEELING AT 31 WEEKS PREGNANT
Weight gain/body changes: I’m starting to feel very pregnant. I’m sometimes uncomfortable and the belly feels like it’s really growing rapidly at this point. Shaving is starting to get interesting. Haha.
I’ve gained about 17 pounds. I can see big veins running along both sides of my stomach as well as on my breasts. I guess because the skin is stretching so much! I’m also starting to get a faint line down my stomach.
Workouts/Workout Modifications: lots of yoga and walking. I think I’ve done one or two low-key strength workouts since I last updated. I took this handstand picture during week 30. It still feels so good to go upside down, although I only do it against a wall just in case.
After taking several weeks off of yoga, it’s felt REALLY good to get back to my practice. I’m definitely having to modify more and more and moving around on my mat is nowhere near as graceful as it was pre-pregnancy. I’m slowing down!
- Again, MY SKIN! I have such bad breakouts on my right cheek that I’m worried they are going to scar. I’ve been dabbing tee tree oil on it but I can’t use any regular/heavy duty acne stuff. If you have any other suggestions for natural acne treatment, please send them my way.
- Night sweats. Some of you know that I’ve dealt with terrible night sweats on and off since I was 18. For the first two trimesters of pregnancy, I didn’t have them at all. They have been back in the third trimester and I’ve been sweating like crazy at night. Boo.
- Still getting pretty consistent Braxton-Hicks and this last week they’ve been the same whether I sit all day or am more active. I’m trying to drink a freaking ton of water, stress less and keep trying to rest more.
Food aversions/cravings: I am not a cereal eater but I was craving cereal so much last week that I bought a couple of boxes at Whole Foods on Sunday. I really think that body is just wanting simple to digest food and the cold milk is appealing as well.
When it comes to aversions, I’m still anti-red meat, fish and seafood (except for canned salmon…that is working for me on salads oddly enough) but I’m doing better with veggies and salads.
- Crib and dresser/changing table are assembled and good to go.
- Ordered rugs, fan/lighting fixture and wall art for nursery. I was going to do just a lighting fixture then everything I read said you should have a fan in the baby’s room because it reduces SIDS risk so fan it was. I am SO excited about the things I ordered from Etsy for the walls! 🙂
- Started a three-week birthing class series at the hospital. More on that here in a second.
- Chose a pediatrician. I just need to call and get everything set up.
Hospital birth class: I signed up for a three-week birth class series at the hospital where I will be delivering. We had our first class last night. Tanner went with me.
Overall, what we covered in the first class was nothing that I hadn’t already heard/read but I was shocked to hear that the hospital where I’m delivering has a 93% epidural rate. I’m going to really have to work closely with my doula and labor support team to make my medication-free hopes pan out. I also don’t think this class is going to give me a lot of insight/tools on dealing with pain naturally. We are going to cover some breathing techniques next week in addition to newborn care and some breastfeeding info so I’m looking forward to that.
I did get to see a video of vaginal birth up close for the first time. Whew. Oh I also learned that the hospital has a less than 10% episiotomy rate so I was happy to hear that.
- This weekend’s project is going to be nursery, nursery, nursery! Tanner is going to help me with it and we are going to figure out how to best organize the closet to maximize the space we have and also get the room completely cleared out, furniture in place and whatever art/accessories come in hung/arranged.
- Pick a color and paint trim in nursery.
- Get some name changes done on ID/insurance cards so that we don’t have any issues at the hospital and adding him to my insurance after birth. I’m the worst about taking care of clerical tasks like this!
- Order outfits/dresses for maternity shoots and baby showers.
- Book second maternity shoot. I have one scheduled with my friend Wanda who takes all the yoga pictures you see on my site but I’m doing another one with a friend who does more lifestyle maternity. I have no idea what to wear!
- Order some personalized thank you note stationary. I have a lot of notes to write and a lot more coming! 🙂
- Still need to schedule a time with my doula to go over birth preferences…like soon!
Did you do maternity shoots? What did you wear?
I know it might sound early but…what did you pack in your hospital bag? I want to start thinking about this in case I need to order things. For example, when I went to triage during my scare the nurse mentioned that a lot of girls bring their own gowns. And what about going home outfits? Did you make that a thing? And what other things are nice to have for comfort?
Any natural acne remedies to share?