I’m hitting 28 weeks today and the weeks truly seem to be flying by. 83 days until due date!
28 WEEKS PREGNANCY UPDATE
- Baby can now open his eyes but his vision is blurry. Eyes have color but that might change in first 6 months of life, especially if they’re blue or gray.
- Baby is sleeping and waking on a regular schedule but it’s a little weird. Baby sleeps only sleeps for 20 to 30 minutes at a time.
- Putting on fat and gaining about .5 pounds a week until birth.
- Brain continuing to expand and develop rapidly.
HOW I’M FEELING AT 28 WEEKS PREGNANT
Weight Gain/Body Changes: still in the range of 13-15 pounds…even with all the carbs in my diet (haha). I’m going to ask my doctor about it this week and make sure everything is on track.
Workouts/Workout Modifications: although the doctor from my practice that was on call at the hospital didn’t send me home with any restrictions after last week’s hospital visit, I still wanted to take it easy. For the first few days I stuck to walking before starting to add in short runs and strength training again. I haven’t practiced yoga since before the scare. Here’s what I’ve done since last Tuesday…
- Almost daily walks with the dogs for about 45-60 minutes
- One FlyWheel class
- Taught two strength classes
- Two runs – one 3 miles and one 4 miles
Symptoms: I’ve tried to keep a running list of these in my head to share with you. Here are a few…
- Lots of Braxton-Hicks contractions. I’m going to discuss this with my doctor again when I see him this week. The good thing is that there is no pain with them and I mostly only get them at night.
- Less hair loss. My hairdresser was commenting at my last appointment about how healthy and thick hair is during pregnancy and also warned me that I’d lose a lot of it after! Since then I’ve realized how little I’m shedding in the shower. It really is crazy how much less hair I’m losing when I wash my hair!
- My belly button is starting to turn into an outie. When I wake up in the morning it looks normal for a few minutes and then stretches out as my belly does.
- My skin is breaking out but only on the sides of my cheeks.
Sleep: overall TERRIBLE. It’s not a comfort thing as much as a slowing down my brain/insomnia kind of thing.
Food Aversions/Cravings: see yesterday’s post!
Watching/Reading/Listening: I watched The Business of Being Born last week and I feel like it pretty much fell in line with most of what I’ve read/learned/heard about the medical model of childbirth and the commonality of birth interventions.
I chose a hospital delivery because I know myself and my tendency towards anxiety so I just thought it would be the best fit for me to know that advanced care and the NICU were right there should I need it. I am attempting to bring a little more “intervention-free” to that through hiring my doula. We’ll see how that all plays out. 😉
I’m still listening to and enjoying episodes of The Birth Hour podcast.
I also finished listening to Bringing Up Bebe on Audible and got some good takeaways from it.
Next up: more reading on breastfeeding and little babies! 🙂
- finished both registries (Amazon and Target)
- had baby’s room painted
- ordered nursery furniture
- hired my cleaning friend to organize the attic and closets (I’m all about creating efficiency and calling in help where needed!) 😛
- choose a pediatrician
- schedule classes and hospital tour (like ASAP)…I might also do some online courses/learning options
- meet with my doula to discuss birth preferences
- nursery closet organization strategy…what is a cheap but efficient way to organize with hanging and shelving? I don’t want to sink a ton of money into a closet organizing system
- name the child 😉 still working on that
- doctor’s appt this week for GD screen and US to check echogenic focus of left ventricle
Dogs and babies. Talk to me about this. How did it go for you? Anything I should do to prepare them?
Has anyone taken online classes or courses for childbirth or breastfeeding or infant care that you found helpful?
What happened with your hair pre- and post-baby?
Any cheap solutions for nursery closet organization that doesn’t involve having a whole closet system installed?