I mentioned a month or so ago that I was going to start embracing my slow cooker more this fall to help with dinner on long days and so far I’m on a good roll! First I made Chicken Tikka Masala, then Balsamic Pork Tenderloin and this week was White Chicken Chili.
This is not a new slow cooker recipe for me but I’ve never shared it on the blog! I shared the original version of this White Chicken Chili on my old food blog but I’ve made quite a few changes to the original recipe to enhance the taste and make it slow cooker friendly.
This chili is full of flavor and hearty while still being really healthy. What I love most about this recipe is that you thicken and add creaminess to the chili by adding a can of pureed white beans instead of heavy cream.
My new slow cooker friendly recipe is super awesome because it requires no sauteeing or pre-cooking of the chicken. Just throw it all in the slow cooker, cover it with broth and you’re good to go.
This recipe is versatile so feel free to adjust spices to meet your tastes and also to add in extra veggies if you have them on hand. Two veggies I add sometimes are white corn corn and chopped green peppers.
The rest of the magic is all in the toppings. I love shredded cheese (pepper jack if I have it on hand), diced avocado (a must!), a dollop of plain greek yogurt or sour cream and cilantro. I also like to serve it with tortilla chips on the side for dipping or crumbling into my chili.
The recipe below makes four big bowls so double if you’re feeding a crowd or if you want leftovers! If you’re doubling I would probably use 3 cans of beans instead of 4. Use 2 for the chili and 1 for puree.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 4-5 servings||Total:|
A slow cooker white chicken chili that's thickened with pureed white beans for a hearty, flavorful and dairy-free white chili.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 4 boneless, skinless thighs
- 1 small sweet onion, diced (use a half if you have a jumbo onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (to taste)
- 1 (4 oz) cans diced green chilies
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 (15 oz) cans great northern beans, divided and drained
- 1-2 (14 oz) cans chicken broth, enough to cover the ingredients in slow cooker if needed
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- A few cranks of freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander (leave this out if you don't have it)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker. Cover with onion, garlic, peppers, spices and one can of the beans.
- Place second can of drained beans in a food processor or blender and puree. Add puree to slow cooker and cover all ingredients with chicken broth. If one can isn't enough, add more.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Before serving, discard bay leaf and shred chicken with two forks. Stir well.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve with toppings of your choice.
Delicious topping ideas include hot sauce, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, tortilla chips and shredded cheese.