One of the ways I keep the Whole30 feeling fresh and fun is by challenging myself to menu plan and to try new dinner recipes. I feel like we’ve discovered so new recipes this go round that we’ll continue making all year, not just on the Whole30. This Slow Cooker Butter Chicken is one of them. It is so good that I knew I had to post it for you guys ASAP. You are going to love it!
Butter chicken is an Indian dish known as murgh makhani. The New York Times calls it the “General Tso’s of Indian food” because it’s so delicious and universally appealing. It’s just a basic chicken curry in a creamy tomato sauce but there’s nothing “basic” about the flavor of this dish thanks to this line up of spices.
The original recipe calls for lots of cream in the tomato sauce but I used a can of full-fat coconut milk for a dairy-free, Whole30, Paleo modification. I can’t stress to you enough the importance of using the full-fat version. It makes the biggest difference in richness of flavor and texture.
This is one of those super easy “dump it all in the slow cooker and go” recipes where you don’t even have to brown anything ahead of time. Personally, this is my favorite way to use the slow cooker! 🙂
The Slow Cooker Butter Chicken only takes about six hours on low. The chicken will easily shred with a fork. I served it over cauliflower rice with fresh cilantro.
Try this out! Especially if you’ve never experimented with Indian curry spices. This Slow Cooker Butter Chicken is a great gateway!
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Recipe
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 4 servings||Total:|
This slow cooker butter chicken is rich in taste and texture and also Whole30 approved, Paleo, dairy-free and gluten-free!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts (I used thighs)
- 1 red, yellow or orange pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can of full fat coconut milk
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Arrowroot powder (or coconut flour)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on your spice tolerance)
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (taste and season as needed before serving)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Rice, for serving
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Place chicken thighs and remaining ingredients in a slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Chicken should be falling apart and easily shred with a fork.
- Serve over rice of your choice. Use cauliflower rice for a Whole30, Paleo friendly option. Garnish with cilantro.
The leftovers taste even better!