This Maple Apple Spice Bundt Cake is packed with fresh apples, warm spices and sweetened with a blend of brown sugar and maple syrup for the ultimate fall treat.
2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup maple syrup
8 ounces cream cheese, softened (one block, it’s okay to use reduced fat)
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (one stick)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3 cups diced apples, peeled
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted (this is a not to be skipped step!)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon milk (more if needed to thin)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a bundt cake by greasing it with butter and coating in flour. Tap out excess flour. Set pans aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Whisk to combine well and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with a handheld mixer, beat together butter, cream cheese, sugar and maple syrup until fluffy and lightened in color, 2-3 minutes. Add vanilla and then eggs one at a time.
- Slowly begin to incorporate the flour mixture about 1/2-1 cup at a time until all flour has been mixed into batter. With mixer speed on low, add apples and nuts and gently combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and place in the center of the oven to bake. Begin checking the cake one hour into baking. The baking time will vary based on your oven. Mine took about 75 minutes. Cake is done when it appears to be and feels “set” (isn’t jiggling) and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pan for about 20 minutes before running a knife all along the edges to loosen it from the pan. Carefully and gently flip over the pan and invert the cake onto a wire rack. Let cool completely before adding the glaze.
- For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, maple syrup and milk and drizzle over cake. Garnish with sifted powdered sugar if desired.
*Cake keeps very well for several days at room temperatures. Especially delicious if served slightly warm. Freezes very well.
Keywords: cake, apple cake, baking, bundt cake