This Lemony Chicken and Kale soup is light, brothy and packed with veggies but also super comforting and hearty. Whole30 approved, Paleo and gluten-free too!
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock/broth
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large head of kale, stems removed and torn into pieces
- 1 lemon, sliced in half
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- More salt, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or a big soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrots and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook for three more minutes.
- Stir in stock, thyme, bay leaf, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and let mixture simmer for about 20 minutes, covered.
- Add the kale and continue to simmer for about 25 more minutes, or until kale is as tender as you’d like for it to be. Add the chicken and juice of both of the lemon halves and heat through. Season to taste with salt. You may need a good bit more depending on your preferences. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light.