A kale and quinoa salad with roasted chickpeas, pepitas and zesty ranch.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 bunches of lacinto/tuscan kale, washed, de-stemmed and cut into strips
- Lemon wedges
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup raw pepitas
- Tessemae’s Zesty Ranch
- Olive oil
- Salt, pepper, seasoning salt, garlic powder, chili powder, seasoning of choice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prep chickpeas by draining, rinsing and patting dry with a paper towel. Place them on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper or seasoning of choice.
- Place chickpeas in oven and let roast for 20-30 minutes, shaking the pan every 5 minutes or so, until crispy and browned.
- Bring one cup of quinoa, two cups of water (you can also use chicken or veggie stock) and a dash of salt to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to very low. Cook 15 minutes.
- While quinoa and chickpeas are cooking, prep pepitas by placing them in a small roasting pan or oven-safe skillet. Drizzle with olive oil and season to taste. These will only roast in the oven for about 5-7 minutes. Check them often and make sure they don’t burn!
- Prep kale by washing well and then de-stemming and chopping. I like to use my salad spinner to remove as much moisture as possible before massaging. To massage kale, place it in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil, a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of salt. (A couple tablespoons of olive oil and the juice of 1/4-1/2 lemon.) Massage using your hands until the kale is soft and reduced in volume.
- Once everything is done, combine in a bowl and then add your Tessemae’s Zesty Ranch. Start with about 1/3 cup and add from there.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. You can also finish the salad off with grated parmesan if you wish.
Salad keeps in the fridge in an airtight container for several days.