A recipe for a simple comforting chicken and rice skillet with broccoli and sundried tomatoes.
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- Salt and pepper (option to use lemon pepper if you have it…I did!)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can organic cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup white rice (I used basmati)
- 2 broccoli crowns, chopped
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup shredded cheese of choice (I used mozzarella because it’s what I had…of course you can add more!)
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large skillet that has a lid and at least 2-3 inch sides. While oil is heating, season chopped chicken breasts with salt and pepper or lemon pepper.
- Add onion and chicken to skillet and let cook for 4-5 minutes until onion begins to soften and chicken begins to brown (chicken will not be cooked through at this point). Add garlic and stir for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add butter and stir until melted. Then add the cream of mushroom soup and stir.
- Next add the rice, broccoli, sundried tomatoes, seasonings, lemon juice and stock and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes, or until rice has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Add the cheese and return the lid to the pan until the cheese has melted. At this point, it’s ready to enjoy but If you’d like to brown the top a bit, put the skillet under the broiler for a couple of minutes. Watch closely so it doesn’t burn.
Keywords: comfort food, skillet dinner, chicken and rice