A recipe for a cheesy roasted cauliflower soup with smooth, creamy and sharp natural aged cheddar cheese.
1 head of cauliflower, chopped or cut into slices
Extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow or sweet onion, diced (if it’s huge, maybe only use half!)
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 celery stalk, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
One 32-ounce carton of low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
One 7-ounce block Truly Grass Fed Natural Aged Cheddar Cheese (can sub any aged, sharp cheddar here)
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional for toppings: crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, chives, parsley, etc
- Place cauliflower on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Roast at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until it starts to brown and caramelize. Does not have to be all the way cooked through and soft at this point.
- While cauliflower is roasting, heat a big soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat and add about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to coat bottom of pan. Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté until it begins to brown and soften. Add garlic and cook for another minute, careful not to let garlic burn. Add the roasted cauliflower and broth. Cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes or until cauliflower is soft.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Alternatively, use a blender but be sure to work in batches, to vent the soup and not to overfill the blender! Venting the soup means removing the plastic piece in the middle of the lid and covering it with a kitchen towel. This will allow the steam to release so that you don’t have exploding soup all over the kitchen!
- Return the pureed soup to the pot and stir in cheese. You might need to do this over low heat depending how much your mixture has cooled. Once cheese has been incorporated, stir in 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top with toppings of your choice. I recommend bacon, shredded cheese and chives or parsley.
Keywords: soup, cauliflower